Volt light on

NorEaster

About 1 mile from work my volt light came on. I shut off my lights, and turned off my radio, and made it here no problem. Scanmaster is showing 11.3-11.8 volts. Did my alternator die? Nothing was loose on the back of it, nor any other major power wires. I have a local napa and tools at work, so an alternator wouldnt be a big deal.

The field fix won't fix your problem. You have alternator issues, and the only way to correct that is to fix the alternator. The field fix substitutes the VOLTS light on the dash as the culprit for lack of charging when the lamp fails - which is fairly common. With the field fix, the alternator will still charge even if the VOLTS light circuit has failed.

But it's not a substitute for a defective alternator.

NAPA remain, all they can get, 120a, $124.00. I will have it at 2:00. Thanks everybody for the help.

My light went on last year. I replaced my alternator and the problem was fixed.

I had the volt light kick on me while I was traveling along I-70 in Kingdom City, MO. Then it would go off, come back on, go off, come back on....was able to finish the 80 miles home though. Purchased myself a field fix harness and no more issue as of yet. Alternator was maybe a year old at the time.

Best bet have the alt bench checked to see if it's working or not. If it checks good pull the pigtail off of the alt and check for voltage with the ignition on.

Mine died this week too.

And the volts light actually worked.

It was the alternator and I used my spare and it's fixed.

Make sure with any NEW OR REMAN. alternator that the pulley on it is the proper serpentine one with the PROPER SIZE pulley on it, many aren't.

Open it at the store for sure.

Don't give them your core either, the CS144 stockers are good alternators and can easily be rebuilt.

Mine died this week too.

And the volts light actually worked.

It was the alternator and I used my spare and it's fixed.

Make sure with any NEW OR REMAN. alternator that the pulley on it is the proper serpentine one with the PROPER SIZE pulley on it, many aren't.

Open it at the store for sure.

Don't give them your core either, the CS144 stockers are good alternators and can easily be rebuilt.

Swapped mine out at work, runs like a charm. Thanks everybody (Brian @ Gbody) for pointing me in the right direction.