virus question...

Bigthainitty

All American!
Has anyone else experienced the problem of being redirected from this site to something called file store? Anytime I access this site from google I get redirected and now my work computer has a virus.....ugggh :( is there anything that can be done to remedy this? This site is fantastic and the people are so helpful but this one problem is very strange. I'm new here so maybe this is old news but I thought something should be done to fix it so other potential new comers aren't scared off.

i've been getting that lately, from bing. for here and many other places too. the only recent programs i've added was filecure, which is coming back off.

You might have spyware that hijacks IE and redirects it to planned ad sites. I'd download Malwarebytes free edition and run it through.

There is some nasty stuff going around these days. Almost every piece of malware Ive run into in the last few weeks in installing rootkits which make the stuff even nastier to remove. I spent 18 hours over the weekend disinfecting a clients computer. Had to remove the rootkit which took forever and then manually remove some malware that MWB wouldnt remove.

Get yourself a good AV program (I recommend Kaspersky) after you're clean.

In general the best way to troubleshoot that is to type the address direct into the address bar. It sounds like some kind of malware/adware/etc. that's just doing a simple redirect.

Honestly, if you're still using Internet Explorer, you might want to consider switching over to Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both of them can be set up to be worlds beyond IE.

Grab "AVG Free" off the interwebs run that and see if it comes up with anything, it's a pretty decent anti-virus (for the price). Honestly, I run so many security plug-ins on Firefox that most websites don't work correctly without me doing some tweaking, and I haven't gotten a virus in ~5 years. Hope you get your problem fixed!

In general the best way to troubleshoot that is to type the address direct into the address bar. It sounds like some kind of malware/adware/etc. that's just doing a simple redirect.

Honestly, if you're still using Internet Explorer, you might want to consider switching over to Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both of them can be set up to be worlds beyond IE.

Grab "AVG Free" off the interwebs run that and see if it comes up with anything, it's a pretty decent anti-virus (for the price). Honestly, I run so many security plug-ins on Firefox that most websites don't work correctly without me doing some tweaking, and I haven't gotten a virus in ~5 years. Hope you get your problem fixed!

AVG isnt going to do squat for removing what that guy has.

If you dont have a rootkit (You probably do), here is a quick and dirty way to clean the PC.

On a clean PC, download Rkill (Do a google search for it) and MalwareBytes. Put them on a memory stick.

Boot the infected PC into safe mode.

Run Rkill and wait. When its done, it will show you what malware it terminated.

Install MalwareBytes and let it update. Run a full scan and then remove the infections. If you make it this far, you have about a 75% chance of being clean.

If Malwarebytes wont start or wont update, you have a whole nother mess of problems.

At that point, I would download the Kaspersky Boot CD and run a full scan on the harddrive.

The newest malware going around is nasty, nasty stuff. I had two to remove late last week and they both took a LOT longer than usual. Most stuff I can remove in less than 15 minutes. One of these took me about 6 hours, the other one took about 18. They both had rootkits. Rootkits add a whole different twist to the situation.

Good tips, Jay. Another option is Sunbelt VIPRE PC Rescue, which is free. You can boot to it and run from a command line to scan for everything, including rootkits. I use this option when I have a PC that won't even let you install anything.

Nothing is a bigger waste of time for an IT guy than dealing with infections. :( Well, that and printers...

Good tips, Jay. Another option is Sunbelt VIPRE PC Rescue, which is free. You can boot to it and run from a command line to scan for everything, including rootkits. I use this option when I have a PC that won't even let you install anything.

Nothing is a bigger waste of time for an IT guy than dealing with infections. :( Well, that and printers...

Oh yea, lets not even start talking about printers... bane of my existence.

Havent tried the Viper disk but we have used the Viper antivirus. Its alright. The Kaspersky disk has been the best out of the boot disks Ive used. Ive tried the Avira one and the BitDefender one and had mixed results.

Another good one but has saved my bacon a few times is Dr Web. Pretty good self contained AV scanner.

Bottom line is there is no "one" tool. You always have to cycle through your arsenal until you find something that will work and barring that, start digging through the registry.

Man you guys are good! I'm gonna suggest we try the krill thing to the IT guy at work. Thanks so much for all your help everyone :)