video card help

black_magic87

Buddah
Give me car, or an airplane and i can fix both blind folded but, I'm a moran with computers. The girlfriend got me Morrowind for the PC "great game for people who know what it is" only i didn't know i needed a 32 bit video card... my current one is only 24. I have the new now just need a lil help installing it, I have an HP 8755C if that helps 800 mhz and windows ME. i have plenty of room on disk, just not sure about getting the new card installed i have opened the case and i see 4 white bays that i could plug it into. The instrucions talk about a brown which i don't have or i can't see it.

BTW the new card is a GeForce 2 mx 400

Anyone that can me is greatly thanked

Happy New to all

Robert

The white slots are pci slots, the brown one they speak of is an AGP port, which by the sounds of it you dont have, Id return that card and look for a pci video card.

Hi thanks for the responce. The video card is the PCI version "says so on the box lol" I guess i might have made it harder than it seemed by not reading the directions. And now that i have read them it still says to align it with the brown AGP slot, after you have removed the old, This makes me thing with it being an HP that the card is intergrated with the motherboard.

Robert

i have a dell and the crappy card i got is intergrated into the motherboard. my pci card fit right into the pci slots.

Yup if you have onboard video, you can just install it like this:

1) line the card up with an empty pci slot; make sure you have metal "tab" off so you can plug the monitor in at the back

2) gently (but firmly) insert the card by pressing down

3) screw it in

4) reboot computer, go to bios (usually you just hit the del key during bootup), and disable the onboard video

5) listen for beeping when the computer reboots

Your card might have specific instructions for the software you need to install, so read all that stuff first.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for posting, putting it in was easier than i thought just haven't had a lot of time to play with it since my mom's car has this no start problem now ugh :mad: :mad: :mad: , it been driving me nuts for the last two days

Robert