Very strange problem while trying to prime the oil pump

syclone98

After just having finished replacing my timing chain, I was trying to prime the oil pump but something very strange is happening.

For some unknown reason, the oil pump shaft appears to be binding up somehow. While using a drill and priming tool, I originally thought that I just didn't tighten the drill chuck enough but after trying to turn the shaft manually with a screwdriver I noticed the problem. What happens is that you can turn it clockwise only so far and then if you try to turn it counterclockwise, it'll bind up at just a little under 360 degrees from where you first started.

The oil pump itself appeared to be working fine before my timing chain let go a few weeks back. It's a Melling HV kit that I installed myself when I first got the car (about 3 months ago) and while I know that could be the problem, I'm trying to explore my other options before having to pull it apart again.

The other strange thing is that if I put the cam sensor back in the car will actually run, albeit with no oil pressure. This seemed kinda odd because I can't see how the camshaft sensor could turn if it's connected to an oil pump shaft that won't turn.

Any thoughts as to why it's binding and what a possible fix might be?

Thanks,
Christopher

Even if you use a good 3/8 drill motor, it will sometimes SMOKE it (the drill motor) with a hi-volume pump. Try a 1/2" powerful drill and turn it clock-wise (looking straight down on the oil pump shaft.) It takes quite a bit to get everything primed. If you can't get oil pressure to show with a drill motor, time to tear the oil pump apart and see what's happening there. Be sure to pack the gears with petrolium jelly when installing them, or it will never make oil pressure. They need a good prime. You can also fill the oil pump with oil through the oil cooler hoses. Just remove one from the radiator and keep filling it up. Remember, the pump has to fill the oil cooler, filter and all the passages, including turbo, before it will make pressure. Good luck.

Yep, good advice. You can also unhook the top oil cooler line and have someone constantly fill it with a funnel while you prime the pump in reverse. Tighten the cooler line up ,put the drill in drive and away you go.

If you found a piece of the timing gear inside the oil pump housing, chances are VERY good that other pieces are scattered out in various places in the engines oil passages. :eek: I would NOT fire that engine until it's pulled down to the bare block and every passage checked and cleaned.