Very Strange: 6 clutches/too many steels??

tomard

80 Vette with a 4BQ
I have a spare KTF tranny that while I was having issues with the 4BQ, I would try, but have doubts .....

I can see the output shaft and the 6 clutches, with alternating steels, BUT ON TOP are 2 or 3 Steels before the snap ring ..... ????????

Is this someones idea of improvement or asking for trouble, should I just disregard and put the TH350C back in until the 4BQ is fixed ????

waved

Ending with 2 steels is correct. The last one being a waved steel. This is to eliminate the bang when low or reverse is engaged.

There is also a snap ring there that maybe you are seeing. It's going to be hard to tell the cushion from a regular steel.

A stock class trick is to eliminate some of the drag by eliminating some of the L/R frictions in 200 3 speeds and TH350's, etc.
You use steels to take up the space.

Looks like 3 steels and they are all the same ......
Someone probaby added one on a rebuild. Thinking they were going to take away some of the slop. The slop is there to reduce drag since the clutch pack is not engaged at high driveshaft speeds.

Closer look

I opened it up today and there are definetely starting with a steel alternating with 6 clutches, AND ENDING UP WITH 3 equally thick steels at the end, THEN a snap ring .....

If I am okay with this, I want to try it on car ....... and if I can drive it, fully functional, I will start working on my BQ problem, that I want to use for some runs ......