Very fine brass residue & flakes in oil: help me make a potential problem checklist

one more thing i forgot to add have you ever blew a motor that ate the crank once before? mine had snaped a crank befoe i got it and radiator was needing to be replaced after i did that my radiator guy asked me if i wanted to see inside the oil cool and it was jamed packed full of the golden flakes. advice do a very thoural check and have the block flushed and start fresh.

Ive also had a thrust issue before:(
I had steel caps installed and the thrust faces on the new caps were not square to the main line:rolleyes: The machine shop squared it up but the cap ended up .010 to narrow:eek: I had to make a .010 shim to put behind the bearing to keep it from walking:rolleyes: Im not sure if the register wasnt ground square to the thrust face on the new cap or what.... Hell whos to say the factory register was square in the block;) My friends new motor started trashing his thrust and found it was to rough from the crank grinders... Now i always tell them not to touch the thrust when i have a crank ground and wont have one ground unless the thrust is nice:)

Originally posted by geno
Ive also had a thrust issue before:(
I had steel caps installed and the thrust faces on the new caps were not square to the main line:rolleyes: The machine shop squared it up but the cap ended up .010 to narrow:eek: I had to make a .010 shim to put behind the bearing to keep it from walking:rolleyes: Im not sure if the register wasnt ground square to the thrust face on the new cap or what.... Hell whos to say the factory register was square in the block;) My friends new motor started trashing his thrust and found it was to rough from the crank grinders... Now i always tell them not to touch the thrust when i have a crank ground and wont have one ground unless the thrust is nice:)

That's the exact same issue I'm having with my billet thrust cap !!! I'm having a new billet cap made and having the block realigned honed .

You dont have to shim behind the bearing after the machinist squares the thrust face,s. You can order a bearing that is narrow on the ID..:) I just wish they would make the caps .020 thicker and leave a guy something to square;)