Valvetrain geometry

That's odd he didn't have an answer.

I would have thought it would be either "the valves are located higher relative to the centerline of the rocker shaft" -OR- "that makes no sense at all, as the valves are located in the OEM position so there's no need for proprietary parts".

I told him "the valves are located higher relative to the center line of the rocker shaft." He said I was the first person to have an issue that he has heard of. I do have a set of T and D rockers on the way but I really don't want to have to use these. The roller rockers will at least get off of the edge of the valve but the geometry will still be wrong.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You might be the first person that actually measured and then called. I'd like to have one next to a stocker on a CMM. Wouldn't take 30 seconds to find the discrepancy.

I am going to measure a few more critcal dimensions the best I can tomorrow. I will check to see how far the valve face is from the deck surface. Any other ideas on where I can measure?

The valve seats look ok just eyeballing it. I used a sharpie to highlight where the valve and seat meet. Second picture shows the new valves vs. Old stock valves.

Attachments

• 1393462975939.jpg
    1393462975939.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 1393462989329.jpg
    1393462989329.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 142
One more

Attachments

• 1393463614704.jpg
    1393463614704.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 131
I am going to measure a few more critcal dimensions the best I can tomorrow. I will check to see how far the valve face is from the deck surface. Any other ideas on where I can measure?

Have you measured your valve margins? Just because you have two valves the same length doesn't mean they will sit identically on the seat. Which will alter the measurement on the rocker arm side of things.

Gee thanks for the math lesson Earl. :rolleyes: He asked for any other ideas on what to measure. That could be one of many variables that he is dealing with.

After thinking about all this for a bit and not getting any solid answers on why or what to do to correct this situation I have come up with a solution. I just need to know if I can get away with it. I am think of cutting .050- .060 off of the tip of the valve stem. This will get me alot closer on the geometry and should alleviate any issues with the stock rocker arms riding on the edge of the valve stem. It's also alot less expensive than T and D roller rockers. That would leave me with approximately .100 of stem above the keepers. These are stainless steel Ferrea valves. Anyone have a better suggestion?

Damn--now I have to go take a look at how my own valve train cycles! Using the Champion Irons and HS rockers...
To be continued...

Champion should pick up the tab to ship it back. You got a set of heads you can't use and you paid 1200 bucks wtf.

Damn--now I have to go take a look at how my own valve train cycles! Using the Champion Irons and HS rockers...
To be continued...

With the harland sharpe rockers you should be fine. The roller will most likely not be near the edge of the valve tip to cause a problem. The geometry may still not be 100% correct though. With stock rockers the game changes.

If you have .100" to spare, tipping the hell out of the valves should fix you up. I still find it odd that Tom can't say one way or the other if the valves are moved up relative to stock.

There is .160 of stem sticking above the keepers