Valve springs

godwingn87

I'm fixing to port and Polish my stock heads- My engine has 80,000 original miles. Should I replace the stock springs? If so, should I upgrade to better then stock springs? I have seen people post about the Lt1 springs in there cars but I don't know if that is something I should do-I have a stock motor with alky, 49 turbo, bigger injectors, Down pipe, ect. Nothing done internally so far. Whats the gains, being able to run higher RPM's without floating the valves? Or, is there other things that I'm not thinking about.... Thanks in advance!

yes changes the springs. as far as witch ones im not sure since its been awhile

Couldn't hurt to replace them. I would probably go with stock replacement springs. A lot of people do the LT1 springs but others have said that even a slight increase in spring pressure is too rough on the stock cam.

+1 replace them with stock springs. The only thing heavier springs will buy you is a wiped cam :eek:

I know we like to see.

an installed pressure of around 100lbs on valve springs,
but what is the optimum open pressures we should be looking for,?
this is on stock or lightly modded heads, non roller.
thanks

When I had my heads redone, I put 100# springs in at the advice of Tony at Poston's (stock cam). That was 6 years ago, and no problems.

When I had my heads redone, I put 100# springs in at the advice of Tony at Poston's (stock cam). That was 6 years ago, and no problems.

Same here, When I had the heads off and had some porting done I had the machine shop install the LT1 100lb. valve springs. That was about 9 yrs. ago, no problems here.

ive installed several sets of LT1 springs on stock cams.. works great !!

Always replace the stock springs when you can.
I need to do this to my junk this year!

What is the part number for the LT1 springs and who carries them, popped the old head gasket and pulling motor as we speak and want to get my heads freshened up, I would prefer to use a supporting vendor on this site, thanks.

Ron

I believe i have 2 brand new sets of 100lb champion springs off my new irons and gn-1s-i went to roller cam so i cant use them-$55. per set shipped-