valve spring / pushrod question

hey guys i have a quick question

65,000 miles stock motor, i am upgrading my valve springs to a set of comp double valve springs.

should i upgrade the pushrods at the same time? does anybody know the stock length pushrod? and if anybody sells them hardened

thanks much

What springs are you putting on and why?

X2 !!! You really don't need double springs on these cars unless you have a roller cam and/or turn your engine 6000+ rpms. Heavier valve springs will wear your cam and can cause wiped lobes.

i was told by gbodyparts.com to go with their comp 91lb double valve springs. no mods as of yet. do not plan on doing a cam, just basic bolt ons to get in the high 11's low 12's.

and then i was told if i go with a strong spring i will need stronger push rods because the spring will be too hard and cause the rods to bend.

They're not really "double" valve springs. Technically, they are a single spring with and intenal damper.

I do not see where you would need to upgrade pushrods, a harder rod in a case like this (IMHO) might gain 1/10 of a horsepower, stock should suffice since you are only adding 6 lbs of spring pressure over stock.

Thanks
Bill

slight mistake guys, it is a crane double valve spring. I am ordering it from gbodyparts.com. he told me that they would work great, he informed me that i do not have to upgrade my pushrods. but i figure for the cost of them why not upgrade them when they are coming out anyways.???? i always thought that when you upgrade your valve springs that since they are stronger they will apply more force to your pushrods hence maybe bending them?

Brand: Crane Cams
Product Line: Crane Double Valve Springs
Part Type: Valve Springs
Number of Springs Per Valve: Dual
Outside Diameter of Outer Spring (in): 1.212 in.
Coil Bind Height (in): 0.865 in.
Damper Spring Included: No
Spring Rate (lbs/in): 290 lbs./in.
Inside Diameter of Outer Spring (in): 0.900 in.
Inside Diameter of Inner Spring (in): 0.674 in.
Valve Spring Style: Standard
Coated: No
Quantity: Sold as a set of 12.

Valve Springs, Dual, 1.212 in. Outside Diameter, 290 lbs./in. Rate, 0.865 in. Coil Bind Height, Pair

stay with the stock pushrods in your case.... the valve springs you are ordering are basically stock replacements...(not a bad idea, and probably needed)... stock pushrods are fine with those springs.... clean 'em up and be done...save your money for something beneficial... new pushrods are not...:wink: