Valve Spring Pressure

Gettin sleepy so not much time here...

Thanks Chris that clears it up...

In my mind there is something wrong with 6 Sense's machinist's figures or assumptions. Everything might be OK but we don't know until we get some measurements. There isn't anything wrong with the math (I was just bein tactful :)). The springs probably aren't 100% linear but they are fairly close. There is no chance that .015" shimming will result in a 30 lb load increase...that would mean that the spring rate is 2000 lb per inch...not likely :). My guess here is the shim is about .015" as stated....but the increase in spring force is not 30 lbs....and that the machinists was just saying that....kinda guessing.

Typical springs used by us have advertised spring rates ranging from 260's to 420's pounds per inch of deflections...so even a stiff spring like the CC981 at 423 lb/in would only generate 6.3 more pounds of spring loading for .015".

6Sense...here's what I recommend...remove what ever shims you have in place, confirm what type of spring you have and if you cannot confirm it put it on a spring tester and determine it's spring force at 1.700" and at 1.250"...you can compare that data to the spreadsheet that I will send you off line...if you are in the CC980 range call it good and install it without shims.

Chris...maybe you should get another woman to beat you too...sort of double up on your "punishment"...lol

Bob

Thanks for all the help thus far guys, I really appreciate it. I guess if I wasnt a little leary of the whole situation in the first place, I wouldnt have even started the thread. I will get some hard info on the springs, with my own eyes, and post back with results.