Valve Cover sealing Champ Alum heads

STP

Narrow A$$ Racing
I have tried every gasket made...Felpro VS series gaskets (steel reinforced rubber), cork gaskets, even tried siliconing two cork gaskets together and torqueing them down. I believe it's a design flaw with the Champion heads drainback holes. The valve covers seep oil when the engine is off due to oil sitting in the back of the head. Oil sits in the back of the head almost level to the gasket mating surface. Anyone else having issues with this? Have also tried different valve covers...Champion and TA covers...No difference. Any ideas? It's down right embarassing for your car to smoke when you fire it up due to oil burning off the headers. Thx Scott

I hate Room Temperature Vulcanizing Sealant...Especially inside an engine! The next option is to RTV cork gaskets to the block....I'm about ready to bolt my stage heads on this thing....

Warren....If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem!!

I have GN1's and Champion valve covers..using stock cork gaskets...trick is I spray both sides of the gasket with hi-temp aluminum paint...not too thick...just a good coat...haven't leaked a drop of oil yet...I believe that's how the stock gaskets used to come from the factory...I remember buying a set way back and they were painted...ones I buy now aren't...it really makes them seal good...I have to pry the valve covers to get them off...

Hey Scott I saw your post a while back on spraying the gaskets with hi temp alum paint...My concern with the cork gaskets is them getting saturated with oil and seeping. I may be getting too much oil to the topside due to possibly a larger hole in my lifter bushings. As far as I know they were bushed and drilled for a solid roller it being an old ASA engine. But, I'd rather have too much than not enough so I have to fix the problem...If the heads were off I would radius the drainhole to hopefully allow for more drainback. I bet I've dropped 100 bux in valve cover gaskets alone in the past few months.

Ultra Black RTV from Permatex is the most oil-resistant RTV you can buy at the local parts house. Put a thin coat on both sides of the gasket, a process known as skinning. Assuming your heads are flat and the VCers themselves are flat, it isn't going to leak.

You are cleaning up the surfaces beforehand with a solvent aren't you?

I have Champion heads with Champion VCers, use the cork gaskets (skinned with UB RTV), and I don't overtorque (crush) the crap out of the gaskets. I use my gaskets over and over until they rip apart...and they don't leak.:confused: ;)

Thx Scott...Wow three Scott's in one post. Must be a record. I clean both surfaces with thinner prior to putting them on. I have tried Loctite's Gasket Eliminator with no success. I have had sealing issues with these heads since I put them on. Two different sets of covers. I really think I'm getting too much oil to the topside, but I'd rather have too much than not enough. After all oil is the only thing that keeps valve springs alive..I have some black Permatex and will give that a try tomorrow. Thx Scott

Thx, that is what I have...I didn't know they made black permatex. Scott you ever used a product called HondaBond? Available only at Honda dealerships, but is the toughest silicone I have ever used. I considered going after some of it. You bringing Lonnie with you to BG this year, he bringing a car?

Scott, I've used Hondabond (as well as Yamabond) with good success. I've had it seal a thermostat housing on a mopar when nothing else would..

1ARUNEM (just trying to be part of the "solution")

Originally posted by STP
You bringing Lonnie with you to BG this year, he bringing a car?
Lonnie and I will both be there. Hopefully, both of us will be bringing TSM cars. I would have fired up my new motor Sunday night, but a cacaphony of "other issues" have arisen. (Now all I have to do is turn the key...before the kids go to sleep!)

Lonnie is waiting on a crank from Eagle and he has to stop by my place Thursday night to pick up a valvetrain kit.

Have you tried the felpro "perma-dry plus" yet? Reusable molded blue rubber over a steel center, with plastic tabs at the bolt holes to prevent overtorquing. I don't know how they compare to the VS series you mentioned, but these I have are like $40 for a set. My valve covers quit leaking though. One gripe I have with them is you have to trim some of the steel out of the top two corners for them to sit flat on our valve covers. Last set of gaskets I'm ever gonna buy for it. Hope this helps.

Oh, MOPAR gear lube RTV (gray) is awesome stuff, in the few situations that require RTV.

bob

Those sound exactly like the FelPro VS series gaskets. Looks like a nice gasket just wouldn't fix my problem. I think the RTV has done the trick. I siliconed the gaskets to the valve covers and let them sit overnight. Then siliconed the gaskets/covers to the head and just snugged the bolts down. Then let it sit for a day. Fired it up last night and ran it for a while. Went back out there this morning and no drips under the car...Fingers crossed

Next time you have the valve cover off, check to see if Champion tapped your top exhaust threads to deep, mine were and oil would seep down the threads, looks just like a gasket leak.

HTH.......................Greg

Hey Greg, funny you mention that. The thought had crossed my mind. I actually helicoiled all bolt holts on the outside of the heads when I bought them from Champion...But, I had to send one head back to Tom for some work and he said they repaired some of the helicoils...I think I have the leak stopped thx to RTV. Will know for sure after I drive it this weekend. I have two drips of oil under the car now. I believe it is just residue on the frame dripping down. Gonna wipe it down good tomorow just to be sure. Thx Scott