Valve cover replacement

sparky0798

I am currently in the process of replacing my pass side valve cover gasket due to a leak. I got the cover off and now I have all the old buildup and crud around where the cover sat. Is it ok to use brake cleaner and can I spray away to clean up everything? Thanks

Brake cleaner should be fine. It evaporates so quickly I can't imagine it causing any issues. Just give it 10 minutes to evaporate so it doesn't affect the new gasket. I replaced mine with some nicer looking/deeper covers to allow for when I went roller cam/rockers

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks. I figured it would be fine but wanted to make sure. I should've put valve cover "gasket" replacement in my title.

Now that the valve cover is off, blasting it with brake parts cleaner sounds like a great way to flush a bunch of crud into your engine.

or am I reading that wrong?

That's what I'm trying to avoid. If any crud happens to fall in the engine would it mess anything up?

It could mess everything up. The right piece of junk could potentially start a cascade failure that will end up with you buying and engine crane.

Stuff some rags in the oil drain back holes and around the pushrod holes like 5 minutes ago

Cleaning the cover there shouldn't be that much crud. I wouldn't be cleaning it over the block anyway.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app