Valve cover gasket instll tips.

Turbodan

I am going to replace my valve cover gaskets this coming week. any tips from the experts would be great. Is 44 inch pounds the correct torque? When tightening is there a sequence that works best?

get the felpro perma torque rubber valve cover gaskets. they are a little pricey but it will be the last set you will buy for a long time had mine on the car for 2yrs now and no leaks i even took the valve covers off and adjusted the roller rockers reused them and still no leaks.

part # 50156T

Hi,
Yeah, the neoprene gaskets are the best. I have had no leakage from these.I have had trouble with other brands, however.

I went from the black rubber fel-pro gaskets to the corks and have had on and off probly 6 times with no leaks so far.

Ive used the old rubberized cork repeatedly on one set of covers for 6 years with no leaks. I also had good luck with the neoprene seals.

the rubber valve cover gaskets that i'm referring to are blue in color and they have a thin metal shim in the middle of them the prevents from over tighting.

they work great.

what i have noticed with the cork gaskets is that they slowly collaspe and the bolts get loose and you have to keep snugging them up til you have flaten the gasket out till you can't tighten up and more then it leaks.

this is from felpro's website on these gaskets

Fel-Pro Rigid Core Molded Rubber Valve Cover Gasket Sets are a superior choice for sealing integrity when building a professional racing engine. The high tech material is ideal for high crankcase vacuum conditions. Reusable, a great feature for engines requiring frequent valvetrain inspection and adjustment. Rigid carrier insures easy installation and dependable sealing of the spans between the fasteners. Built in compression limiters prevent over tightening.The engineered cross section design uses strategic beads to ensure leak free performance.

http://www.federal-mogul.com/aftermarket/us/felpro_perf_valvecover.htm?Country=USA&NumIm=4

awsome

awsome. i just ordered the blue type ones for my car. i was hoping there good. it was funny a couple of nights ago i went to pull the pass. side valve cover and let me tell you when u use cork gaskets no tools are required to remove the valve cover. un-screwed all 4 bolts with my finger and pulled the cover off. :eek:

I use the cork kind, but when I have an occasion to replace them, I double them up. Two gaskets on each side. I haven't had leak problems with this procedure.