vacuum pump for brakes

Well if you had at least 10 inches of vacuum in the booster when you could'nt stop, then a pump might not improve it at all.I would go over the whole system and try to find a problem,maybe you have air in a brake line.You might be able to find a booster that does not need as much vacuum as your current one.Put a mighty vac tester on the booster with the check valve inline and test it and make sure the valve only allows vac and not pressure going to the booster.It should have vacuum in it when you take the valve from out of the booster.

Vac pump

I had one of those MP Brakes vac pumps in a heavily cammed SBC pro-Street El-Camino..
The motor didnt even make enough vac to operate the heater A/C controls.
I put on of those pumps in and tee'd the line for A/c controls.. Unreal difference !!! Brakes were SUPER. The pedal was high and smooth. The heater + A/C vents felt like new.You could hear them thump into place..
Another thing,you always have power assisted brakes with the key on.If you have to push the car,like in the staging lanes..the best thing is you would'nt lose your power assist if the motor stalled..
It hummed for a few seconds when you first started it but that was about it.. George