Vacuum Brakes + Crane Roller 212/206 = No Brakes HELP

KWIKR 1

I'm just breaking in a new engine with a Crane Roller 212/206 . My vacuum brakes are fine just driving around town . But if I give the car a good blast when I go to brake there's nothing there . No power asist at all . Has anybody had this problem running vacuum brakes and one of these Crane Rollers ? Could it be a PCV problem (I'm aslo chasing a weird oil leak problem) ? and how can this problem be corrected ? I almost rear ended a car today because of it . Scary stuff . Please help, my wife drives this car often and I have to fix the problem . Thanks.

How much vacuum at idle? If you have less than 12" at idle, the booster may not be storing enuf.

Is the check valve good in the booster?

I'll have to check vacuum at idle .What should the vacuum be with this cam ? Booster is less then a year old .Thanks.

In gear, I would think it would be 12-14" when hot.

There is a check valve in the booster..its the piece of plastic that the hose connects to...it just pops into a grommet on the booster.

You should be able to suck on it, but not blow thru it

I had a similar problem (I have the ATR roller though). Pretty scarey going from all go and not having any stop!!! But I got a resevoir from Summit, and the brakes work GREAT ever since. I know the plastic check valve shouldn't let this happen, but it just did with mine (brand new brake setup too). I would just buy the resevoir (relatively cheap) and give MUCH better reliability to the brakes... It also makes a VERY convenient place to have my vacuum gauge. :)

Derrick

Vacuum is 12-13 in/HG at idle in drive .tazgn , where did you mount the resevior ? And wich one did you get the alum or steel ? thanks.

okay, the booster may be bad. Several have mentioned problems with rebuilt boosters. Let the engine idle, cut it off, wait a minute, and then pull the check valve out....you should hear a big hiss as the air rushes into the booster. I am not sure if this will completely test the dual diaphram units or not.

I run about 13" with my 210 roller and have plenty of vacuum.

Yep I heard the hiss when I pulled the check valve . Brakes worked fine last year before I droped new engine in.

resevoir

I had the same problem with the vacuum brakes and weak pedal.I installed a resevoir from summit ( alum ) just did it last night, and the brakes feel about 25% better on a hard stop. Check my cam specs. below. Also it is a nice place to place the gauge. I mounted my set up next to the relays on the driver side. made a 90 degree mounting plate out of stainless. Give it a try, you should get some good resuts.:)