V8 turbo

only"T"intown

Has anyone here ever turbo'd a V8 with a carb? Considering doing this to a chevy 350 4 bolt main. I will be using 8.5-1 compression pistons and a stock 87 GN turbo. If I could find the right engine I would consider using a late 80's tune port set up. Any feedback from someone who had done this would be appreciated.

turboed V8 with carb .....pontiac did it back in 80 and 81 on the Trans am and there were kits from HO specialties and others for a blow through turbo adapted to the inlet of the carb to retrofit onto 400s and 455s ,

Using a GN turbo sounds a bit tiny on the turboside. Might want to run 2 or step up to a bigger aftermarket unit.

I think the guys name is Jim Filapowski, he runs a blow thru carb car. Single turbo SBC thru one carb in the 6's. He runs in the NMCA street car shootouts. 2 stock GN units would work better and i think you might be able to use shortie headers upside down i've heard before?? Frank

Carb's are tough to do. Blow through set-ups work great at relatively low boost (sub 7-9psi or so), but the carb will run into porblems metering the density of the air beyond that. Carb's meter volume really well, but don't do so well with dense air charges.

Draw through is better (IMO) for higher boost applications, but it's tough to run fuel through all the plumbing.

Maybe a super expensive, blow thorugh specific carb could help you out, but I've never really looked into it.

Maybe a blow through TB injection would work as it can be tuned (?)

Edit:
Moderator(s),
Please delete this post.

Maybe a blow through TB injection would work as it can be tuned for higher boost applications (?)

neat said:
Carb's are tough to do. Blow through set-ups work great at relatively low boost (sub 7-9psi or so), but the carb will run into porblems metering the density of the air beyond that. Carb's meter volume really well, but don't do so well with dense air charges.

Draw through is better (IMO) for higher boost applications, but it's tough to run fuel through all the plumbing.

Maybe a super expensive, blow thorugh specific carb could help you out, but I've never really looked into it.

I guess someone should tell the 7 and 8 second blow through carb'd guys?

If you think a blow through specific carb is expensive you should price what an aftermarket EFI system costs. Last I checked $1000 gets you a very nice carb setup, hell the injectors and TB alone will cost you almost that.

I agree, one gn turbo is way too small for that displacement. I'd go to a 76mm single setup, plumbing is easier and it should be pretty quick.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming. I'm glad I haven't started it yet. I've had some of the same ideas as far as the carb goes. I'd rather go fuel injected if possible. A few years ago I saw an aftermarket bolt on IC turbo set up for the TPI camaro's and TA's. I don't know if it came with a seperate fuel management or what though. There also is a new under car turbo set up that doesn't use an IC. The turbo mounts in the place of the muffler and pushes the air from there to the throttle body. The company states that there isn't any additional turbo lag and the added distance keeps down engine temps and acts as an IC because the air has time to cool before it enters the engine. It is plummed with a remote located electric oil pump which circulates the oil to and from the turbo so you don't need the turbo to be in a location to gravity feed oil back into the block. They are pushing it as the first removable turbo set up so if you deside to sell your car you could just remove it and use it on any other car you want. I don't remember the company name but the cost was around 2K for the set up.

its called STS turbo. Several f-body guys doing really good on them. I think they even did an install on one of the spike tv car shows a couple of months ago.

frankg said:
I think the guys name is Jim Filapowski, he runs a blow thru carb car. Single turbo SBC thru one carb in the 6's. He runs in the NMCA street car shootouts. 2 stock GN units would work better and i think you might be able to use shortie headers upside down i've heard before?? Frank

Jim has been 7.8s on drag radials and stock type suspension.
He runs a CSU Carb and a Precsion Turbo.
He is going to Memphis for the Big Drag Radial Race then to Orlando from what I have heard.

I second going over and checking out www.turbomustangs.com . They have a forum dedicated just to blowthru setups, and lots of knowledgable people to answer your questions. There are some bad, bad cars around running blowthru setups, so it's something that obviously works pretty good.