V8 T-Type Regal! How Rare??

Water man

Knee deep in mud
I'm looking to buy another 86/87 Regal. Found a 87 V8 T-Type. How can I find more info on it. How many built ect. Any help would be great.

Kurt

Not sure how many were made, but there's not really anything special about them. They were essentially a basic Regal fitted with a 148 hp 307 Olds V8 and the typical G body 7.5 rear end, but came with the 200-4R trans and the same wheel/suspension the turbo T's came with.

Just don't think because it's a t type it can hand anything it's ass on a plate like a turbo car can. :wink:

You don't see alot of non-turbo T-Types. I was just wondering how rare one would be. I'm looking for a driver Regal and wanted a V8 car. After spending the last month lurking around looking for a car. I'll probably buy another turbo car. Thanks for the info.

Kurt

I'm sure they're more rare than a turbo car, just don't confuse "rare" with "desirable" and/or "high dollar". A nice V8 T car might bring $4000 on a good day.

your in PA?...Im in NJ, I think it was auto trader or craigslist I saw a 1987 V8 T-type for $2000, they put a GN trans and torqe coverter and GN 8.5 rear in, I think it has T-tops too, ...pretty cheap if it really has the GN 8.5 rear, but I'd go under and check just incase if you look at it, Im pretty sure the V8 T-types have the 7.5 rears

You don't see alot of non-turbo T-Types. I was just wondering how rare one would be. I'm looking for a driver Regal and wanted a V8 car. After spending the last month lurking around looking for a car. I'll probably buy another turbo car. Thanks for the info.

Kurt

400 or so.
But because it has a 307 with no power most people don't care for them.

But I have seen old rare optioned cars (63 impala with a 283) with just as week an engine go for big money.

Thanks, He's a little high priced. Shame, Its a sharp car.

Kurt

Doesn't surprise me. He thinks it's worth something because it's a T car. Well it is worth a little more than a basic Regal, but not much.

I saw one on ebay last year, they were trying to get $18k for it, no bidders.

The car is on ebay now, almost used buy it now. Thought $6,000 was a fair price. Also thought it would sell fast and it didn't. I thought this would be easy. Thanks to everyone again for the help!

ff98_3.JPG

I get a kick out of the non turbo car owners trying to cash in on turbo car values. I can envision some 60 year old granny (or her computer literate grandkid) punching in '1987 Buick Regal' on Ebay to get an estimate and seeing them go for $24,000-$110,000 dollars and think they hit the jackpot.

Nice car though, worth about $4,500 in my humble opinion, maybe $4,000 because it needs paint and body work.

eBay Motors: Buick : Regal (item 230265892759 end time Jul-06-08 19:26:55 PDT)

I have parted about 6 or 7 of these out. Might be rare in the midwest but there were alot on the east coast. I heard production #'s of just over a thousand. I forgot who told me so don't take it too seriously.
I know a guy in NC who has 2 of them.

According to the Facts&Figures books Buick made the following Regals with RPO:
Y56=8,547
W02=5,905
6,850=All Regals built with the LC2 and also Y56

So we can probably conclude that there were at least 1,697 V-8 Regals built with the Y56 "T" Sport Package. Which also means that there were 2,661 turbo Regals built with the W02 black out molding package. 4,208 turbo Regals with the W02 if you want to include the WE4.

You know if I just had to have a Olds 307 G-Body I'd rather have a Hurst/Olds or 442 with the 180 horse 307. Plenty of nice ones on eBay for less than the Regal you are looking at.

That's a really nice looking car, but definitely overpriced.

Not sure but I think this was the car for the person who liked the look of the T package but either wanted a V8 and not the turbo 6 or couldn't afford the turbo 6. I guess you could almost say this was the second equivalent to a Monte Carlos SS or a Hurst Olds Cutlass from the same era.

If I had the cash and it were a little less honestly I'd probably snatch it up and drop a 455 Buick in it. :cool: Of course I'd keep the OD trans but also swap out the rear to a beefier one.

I see it was rated at 18/25 mpg....which was about what the turbo 6 was rated at, except it had two less cylinders and more power than the 307 did.

Not sure but I think this was the car for the person who liked the look of the T package but either wanted a V8 and not the turbo 6 or couldn't afford the turbo 6. I guess you could almost say this was the second equivalent to a Monte Carlos SS or a Hurst Olds Cutlass from the same era.

Yep. The cheapa$$ sporty Regal. The LC2 was a $2500-$3000 option on the base Regal. I think that figures out to be at least 25% of the price just for that motor. But than that figure really pales when compared to the $10,500 GNX Option.:eek:

I'll be honest. I was planning on visiting the Credit Union this past Monday and buying this car. Some unforseen circumstances around the house over the weekend stopped it. Now I'm looking at Turbo cars and cars I probably won't use as a daily driver. This car would fit my needs as a driver, even with 148 HP, but I'm not into paying out my ass for a car. Thanks again fellas.

Hey man you only live once, so unless you just can't afford it, go get the loan you need and get the car you want, or you'll kick yourself tomorrow for it.