V8 Cars go somewhere else...... continued

Bent6

The Vanilla Gowilla
I didn't run across that thread until it got waayy off base and was closed. I'm not one to stir the pot but I just couldn't let this one go without putting in my .02. I don't understand why a transmission vendor would actually START a thread telling folks that have moved on to V8s to go somewhere else - especially when he could offend custers of his own.:confused:

So does this mean I shouldn't put that Outlaw Turboglide I got from you behind my new 1800 hp LSX in my Buick GS project - Lonnie?

I love the V6 as much as anyone but there is life outside of the Buick world. I still own a 9 sec 109 V6 as well as one of the most powerful Stage 2s ever built. I just decided to do something different.

I still own a 9 sec 109 V6 as well as one of the most powerful Stage 2s ever built. I just decided to do something different.
I think you should move on and donate that out dated Stage motor to me LOL :biggrin:

Hi Wil,
I think you have taken the thread out of context. Dusty and a couple others did as well. I will state my opinion one more time and will not participate in this thread any further. I hope this time i am very clear to all.

I think its a shame that 12 to Hi 9 second Buick Turbo cars are being dismantled and destroyed to installed a V-8 when in almost every case the V-6 is more than adequate at comparable monies as the V-8 that is replacing it. The default answer by to a guy with a 12 second car is "Put a V8 in it" and why they would be so much better off. This was posted in a tech forum where a guy was looking for help with his 12 second car. Not posted in the V-8 or conversion forum where it should have been. That is just one example there are many. IMO that's a shame.

I don't think this statement applied to you or Dusty or Scott or some of the other guys that took offense. That thread was going way off the subject and Scott polished off the thread so it was closed. It was very confusing after the first few post as to what direction it was going.

You for example are not dismantling your car for a V-8 to run 12s,11s,10s or even hi 9s. You do help v6 guys when you can and I have never seen you ever recommend a V-8 swap to the common Turbo Guy running times listed. You do have an appreciation for these cars because simply for your application you kept a V6 when it would have been easier to install a V8. You still own a Turbo Buick and support the V6 community when you can. Wil sorry that you were offended. But honestly My Opinion did not apply to you or other fellas that have love for these cars.

My opinion did however apply to the fellas that have no love for the Turbo Buick.

Why not, I got some time on my hands........Flame suit on....... IMO, I share in Lonnie's passion for the V6 as the heart in a Buick Grand National/T-type. That's what makes these cars what people know when seeing them, the small V6 power plant that resides in them. Its just more impressive when you see fast Buicks getting it done with the V6. I do understand when the extreme guys go with the V8 powerplant over the V6 when it turns more less into a track only car that reaches mid 8 sec times or better. Speaking for myself, my car is as far modified as its going to be, because I don't want a track car, and I will always retain the V6 motor. I understand the concept of ," no replacement for displacement" too, and you need nobodies permission to do what ever you want to your car. But for me, key word,"ME" a V8 is not an option for my purpose for my car. I would never hate on someone else who chooses to do what they want with their own car, because its not my place. I can only say," you do you, I do me".

Thanks for clarification Lonnie. I wasn't paying enough attention to notice any LS threads outside the V8 forum so I figured it was in reference to several of the latest LS threads in that section.

Myself and a lot of customers have crossed over into the range where the stock block and crank of the LS engines keeps cost down and the durability up when approaching the 1000hp range for those guys looking for hp per $$$. Anything 800hp and below is attainable with a well thought out V6 engine and will continue to be my choice.

Hi Wil,
I think you have taken the thread out of context. Dusty and a couple others did as well. I will state my opinion one more time and will not participate in this thread any further. I hope this time i am very clear to all.

I think its a shame that 12 to Hi 9 second Buick Turbo cars are being dismantled and destroyed to installed a V-8 when in almost every case the V-6 is more than adequate at comparable monies as the V-8 that is replacing it. The default answer by to a guy with a 12 second car is "Put a V8 in it" and why they would be so much better off. This was posted in a tech forum where a guy was looking for help with his 12 second car. Not posted in the V-8 or conversion forum where it should have been. That is just one example there are many. IMO that's a shame.

I don't think this statement applied to you or Dusty or Scott or some of the other guys that took offense. That thread was going way off the subject and Scott polished off the thread so it was closed. It was very confusing after the first few post as to what direction it was going.

You for example are not dismantling your car for a V-8 to run 12s,11s,10s or even hi 9s. You do help v6 guys when you can and I have never seen you ever recommend a V-8 swap to the common Turbo Guy running times listed. You do have an appreciation for these cars because simply for your application you kept a V6 when it would have been easier to install a V8. You still own a Turbo Buick and support the V6 community when you can. Wil sorry that you were offended. But honestly My Opinion did not apply to you or other fellas that have love for these cars.

My opinion did however apply to the fellas that have no love for the Turbo Buick.

I knew I shouldn't have said anything. That other thread got so far off base and had so much BS that I apparently did take it the wrong way.

I don't want anyone on the outside looking in to look at Lonnie in a negative light - that was not the intention of my post. Lonnie took the time to call me personally within 5 minutes of my posting this thread to explain what he meant and to apologize if I took it wrong way. That says a lot about the guy IMO. He has always gone out of his way to make things right and for that he has my respect.

Now that I've gone back and read through all the BS in that other thread I have to agree with what he was trying to say. Too many are quick to suggest the V8 over the V6 when they don't have a clue what they are doing with either engine. It's common physics that a V8 will outperform a V6 once a certain threshold is crossed. However, the V6 Buick can easily be taken into the 9s in full street trim IF the person knows what they are doing.

I have been around the Buick scene longer than most everyone on this board - since back in the 70s before the TRs even existed. I started out with BB Buicks and later got into the TRs. I've paid my dues unlike many Johnny come lately's on here. My green car is one of the most potent V6's ever to grace the 1/4 mile. My street GN can drive coast to coast with the AC blasting and bust off 9's at the track. I have deep rooted affection for the V6 and will never abandon it entirely. The decision to go LSx in my Buick GS project was not one taken lightly. I would have loved to stayed all Buick but it wasn't feasible for what I want to do with the car - at least it did originally come with a V8. A car making 1000hp + on PUMP gas and 1800hp on the good stuff with power everything and AC that can drive to the track on pump gas, run in the 7s and drive back home is something you will never be able to do with a V6. Bottom line is it's my car and my decision - there will always be those who want to bash me for it. I wanted to build a car that was old school yet modern tech, unique, reliable, and competitive in many different arenas - not confined to Buick stuff only. I've shared that build in the V8 section of this board since a lot of my Buick friends are involved in the build and simply so folks can see something different - not to suggest it's the only means to an end. I hope it does the Buick community proud when it's finished.

Oh - and it will have one of Lonnie's Outlaw Turboglides in it too.:biggrin:

I have a 9sec GN with the V6. So I'm coming from TR background. I will never protest to know anything about making cars go fast. However having had 8 TR's with different performance levels from 13's to 9's. In the meantime having several other cars. One turbo fox body Mustang. That was a 275 d/r car. With all that said, I agree that the V6 makes our cars cool. If you get a heavy car like ours into the 9's with the V6 you have done something. Anything past that is not a great idea money wise in my opinion. After that if you wanna go V8 then its a smart idea in my opinion. That's not the problem with the Buick community. The fact that its getting increasingly more expensive to keep these wonderfully beautiful monsters going at the level that stuff is going these days, That's the problem. Keeping up is getting harder and more expensive.

Saying that I agree that my car is MINE and if I wanna put a 20 cyl engine in it to run 20's then by golly that's what I'm going to do. Because its MY car. The only part I don't understand about the Buick crowd is that its that close minded. You think learning from V8 set-ups is a bad thing. Sorry I just do not. And certainly don't think putting the LC2 into another chassis is wrong or stupid. Give me a light weight car and a pro built LC2 and that's a recipe for fun and shows off the Buick power. This is like that age old Ford/Chevrolet argument, Basically dumb and narrow minded. Dusty and Scott both are great people have talked with both and they were both extremely nice and helpful.

The only part I don't understand about the Buick crowd is that its that close minded. You think learning from V8 set-ups is a bad thing. Sorry I just do not. And certainly don't think putting the LC2 into another chassis is wrong or stupid. Give me a light weight car and a pro built LC2 and that's a recipe for fun and shows off the Buick power. This is like that age old Ford/Chevrolet argument, Basically dumb and narrow minded.

Buick community - closed minded? Never! :rolleyes::D

On the flip side of this all, me and a buddy are looking into possibly dropping my full tilt Stage II V6 into his 25.5 Mustang and going Outlaw 275 racing.......show 'em what the little Buford can do..........:eek::biggrin:

On the flip side of this all, me and a buddy are looking into possibly dropping my full tilt Stage II V6 into his 25.5 Mustang and going Outlaw 275 racing.......show 'em what the little Buford can do..........:eek::biggrin:

Around here 88 is the turbo limit at 2850 race weight for the V6 and 3350 for the V8s. Fox body and the right V6 and a guy can dominate. YOU READING THIS CHRIS????????

Why not, I got some time on my hands........Flame suit on....... IMO, I share in Lonnie's passion for the V6 as the heart in a Buick Grand National/T-type. That's what makes these cars what people know when seeing them, the small V6 power plant that resides in them. Its just more impressive when you see fast Buicks getting it done with the V6. I do understand when the extreme guys go with the V8 powerplant over the V6 when it turns more less into a track only car that reaches mid 8 sec times or better. Speaking for myself, my car is as far modified as its going to be, because I don't want a track car, and I will always retain the V6 motor. I understand the concept of ," no replacement for displacement" too, and you need nobodies permission to do what ever you want to your car. But for me, key word,"ME" a V8 is not an option for my purpose for my car. I would never hate on someone else who chooses to do what they want with their own car, because its not my place. I can only say," you do you, I do me".

Hey I've been running reliable and consistent 8.50's for a while now in the class racing I'm involved with. I'm also giving up a lot of weight considering you can be as light as 2800lbs. All this with a very mild tune. I'm actually tied for second in point series. Most of the other cars are big cu in 632's or nitrous assisted BB's. It is kind of rewarding running with these guys. Now if I can get some more weight out of this thing I may consider the X275 radial class.....:biggrin:

Buick community - closed minded? Never! :rolleyes::D

I'd love to see that. The Fox body mustang out in Texas should run into the 4's with the V6 but has ran into issue after issue. The Syclone out of North Carolina with the V6 that competes in X275 is bad ass. I saw it go 5.20's with an 80mm and he was over weight.

Hey I've been running reliable and consistent 8.50's for a while now in the class racing I'm involved with. I'm also giving up a lot of weight considering you can be as light as 2800lbs. All this with a very mild tune. I'm actually tied for second in point series. Most of the other cars are big cu in 632's or nitrous assisted BB's. It is kind of rewarding running with these guys. Now if I can get some more weight out of this thing I may consider the X275 radial class.....:biggrin:

That's excellent news. Good for you. I wish you continued success with your car. You obviously know what your doing.

After dealing and tuning both, the V6 does not fall short in the power department for street duty and neither does the V8. I would recommend anybody to consider their long term goals and invest in what is best for them. I will always love the V6 but finding parts and competent engine builders who don't stick their customers with long waits and big bills is the biggest drawback to the V6 in my opinion. I think many are beginning to see other reasons to make the switch and you can't blame them for it.