**URGENT, PLEASE READ** electrical system death

I had a similar problem 5-6 years ago. Good battery, good & clean terminal post, good ground.
Most of the time the car would start up and run fine, but at times I would have a total loss of electrical power. This could happen while driving or when I went to start the car.

The positive cable looked great BUT there was corossion under the hard molded red plastic insulation and also in the cable.
I cut a slit in the insulation on the cable and was amazed at the crude that was there. Replaced the positive cable and haven't had that kind of problem since.

Gary

Battery cable and/or connections

Given your symptoms, that is the only possible thing that could cause your problem, unless you have a battery with a broken connection inside. I have run across that before, but it's very rare, and about the only way to diagnose it is with an old style carbon pile load tester. The newer ones calculate battery condition via the voltage drop from a much smaller load, a load that won't cause a broken connection to open up like the load of a starter will. Or, you could disable the fuel pump and try extended cranking. If the battery seems to go dead again suddenly, check it with a voltmeter then. :cool:

problem (possibly?) solved

Today Lee (milesengineer2) was nice enough to spend a couple of hours poking around under the hood with me and I think we may have gotten to teh root of all this. A previous owner had installed some sort of security system, and not only was the install a total hack-job (wires twisted together and taped, multiple unnecesary 3 way splices, etc.) but a couple of the wires were worn through and most likely grounding out in a couple different spots. So we pulled all that crap out, and soldered up all the wires that ahd been hacked into. I'm really hoping this was the culprit, but we shall see.

Sounds like you may have found it.

An aftermarket security system puts a whole new spin on things, especially if it wasn't installed properly. I hope that takes care of the problem. :cool:

Ya, you didn't mention the alarm system. Sometimes I think those are more trouble than they are worth.

I used to do a lot of used car work for a local Chevy dealer

I was faster and more efficient (read "cost them less") than their own technicians. They had me remove the alarm system from every car they sent me that had one, and the cost to them was $90~$120. It would not surprise me if they saved at least double that by not having to deal with issues resulting from leaving them installed. Out of several dozen systems, only one was really properly installed and working right, but it got removed and restored to stock configuration as well. :cool:

Hi FlaBoy,
I'm not sure if this is your problem but it happened to me. I bought an 87 Buick LeSabre with 67,000 miles on it from a friends in-laws. I drove the car for about a couple of weeks and it then started to quit running for no reason while I was driving down the road. After a little while, for no known reason, it would start and run again. When it would quit, it was just like someone pulled the battery cables off. Nothing electrical in the car would work, idiot light or anything! I checked the battery numerous times and it showed that it was fine. I checked everything I could think of and everything my friends could think of. When I could find no problem I got to thinking about the battery again. I fugured that there must be a plate broken loose in it and it would short out from being jard around while driving. I replaced the battery and have not had a problem in over 8,000 miles!
Hope this is a help to you!
Good luck, Jim