upside down steering wheel?

M

mark p. liner

can someone please tell me why my steering wheel is upside down. i know its mounted right, i cant see a way to mount it wrong. however its upside down.:confused:

Are the turn signal cancel cams like 1/3 turn away each direction? If so, then simply remove the steering wheel and turn over. If the cancel tabs arent in the right spot, something is amiss.

How long has it been like this? I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think the wheel can be put on the shaft upside down. I think the spline on the shaft prevents it. If it is 180 out, then I would think that someone put the column in wrong. You can put that 180 deg. out. That would be where it connects under the hood. I could be wrong, although it would be the first time. Well, first time since 10:45.

Brian

Well, the steering wheel can go on anyway although the horn wire wont line up. There is a little margin for error, like 2-3*, but not 180* . If the rag joint was 180 out, the lock ring would be 180 out, the t'sig cam would be 180 out and it would require more than 1/4 turn to get the signals to cancel, more like 1/2 a turn. Thats why I suggested seeing if/where the t'sigs cancel at.

i have to turn the wheel another 5* or 10* after i make a 45* turn to get the turn signal to cancel. so i have to turn the wheel dang close to lock to get the signal to cancel. it has been like this for the 15 yrs. i have had the car. a long time ago a guy told me it could be from having the front end alinged from the person who owned the car before me.