Upper Control Arm Add on?

Old_Man_HyPsi87

Upper Control Arms 001.jpg
Anyone seen one of these before? I put on a set of SSM lower control arms and now I have a vibration. I thought it was u-joints and replaced them with no change in the vibration, but now I notice that there is a pretty good angle at the rear joint. This thing was on my car when I bought it, and I want to take it off. I want to mount the uppers back to stock. I already have new poly bushings, so there is no extra expense. I am sure alot of you will tell me to install adjustables, but I don't have the money, and it looks like if I put the uppers back to stock location I will lose some of my driveshaft angle problem. There was no vibration before the "longer" boxed lowers

I need to know if the bushings go in from the center out or from the outside towards the driveshaft?
Anyone?
I have more pics of this if needed

Changing your pinion angle can definetely cause vibrations. I learned that by being a Jeep owner. I wouldn't think those extra joints you have there would be of any help...but I am certainly not a driveline expert. It looks like some kind of old tech experiment gone awry.

I wouldn't think any replacement lower control arms would be "longer" than original. Upper adjustables are a choice as I see it. Needed only if you have a need to put the pinion angle back into place. If you want it stock, or close to stock, put it back as it should be. Certainly take those out and work from a proper starting point.

JMHO...HTH,
Z

Wierd Thing,Anyone Seen this before?

I have been a four wheeler for years and that is where I picked up on the vibration. Plus a few beaters in my time:rolleyes:
Anyway...I am going to remove the strange iron clamp thing and put the uppers back where they belong to start with, that is my cheapest option first.
It looks to me like doing that will help correct my angle problem, at least some, and then I will go from there. If money was no issue I would simply buy
double adjustable uppers and be done with it, but half the fun is redundant knuckle bashing and cussing right ! :mad:
The boxed lowers are in fact a little bit longer than stock, they also are lowered at the axle via a set of brackets. They are made that way to help control the axle better. I like the idea behind them but I will not trade "beefier" for "vibration"...

Ill bet ur traction gets worse...

If U put the control arms back to the stock setup, U will be changing that pinion angle making ur car a tireburner. I run a similar setup made by edelbrock, and the car dead hooks, even on the street without a burnout on M/T drag radials. PM me please if u take them off.

IMHO..... what you have.... doesn't necessarily effect the pinion angle.... if the extra link isn't changing the distance between the hole on the mounting ear on the rear end to the hole on the front of the control arm.... it will not have an effect on the pinion angle. What it will change is the car's instant center. This will effect traction. Lakewood makes some called "no-hop" bars for our cars. It moves the instant center. The instant center is located where the imaginary intersection is between the upper and lower control arms. i.e. extend an imaginary line through the bolt holes on the control arms... toward the front of the car..... where the upper control arm line meets with the lower control arm line...... this is where the instant center is.

If you really want to know more about suspension setup.... go here:

Launching a drag car

HTH

View attachment 30759
Anyone seen one of these before? I put on a set of SSM lower control arms and now I have a vibration. I thought it was u-joints and replaced them with no change in the vibration, but now I notice that there is a pretty good angle at the rear joint. This thing was on my car when I bought it, and I want to take it off. I want to mount the uppers back to stock. I already have new poly bushings, so there is no extra expense. I am sure alot of you will tell me to install adjustables, but I don't have the money, and it looks like if I put the uppers back to stock location I will lose some of my driveshaft angle problem. There was no vibration before the "longer" boxed lowers

I need to know if the bushings go in from the center out or from the outside towards the driveshaft?
Anyone?
I have more pics of this if needed

It looks as if there are no bushings. I would think that could cause vibration but I am no suspension guru.

Bushings?

I kinda thought the same thing -no bushings- I will find out when I get a little time. Not sure what I want to do yet after getting feedback from you guys...I still wish I could just buy double adjustable uppers, but I am not made of money so...I must be patient:mad:

I kinda thought the same thing -no bushings- I will find out when I get a little time. Not sure what I want to do yet after getting feedback from you guys...I still wish I could just buy double adjustable uppers, but I am not made of money so...I must be patient:mad:

You and me both brother! It does not help with two children and a wife who constantly wants to remodel the house.:eek: I wish they would remove those remodeling your home TV shows and replace them with 100 plus channels of SPEED channel!:D

Speed Channel !

Yeah but except NASCAR I would rather watch GN's goin down the track!
And I am with ya on the remodel thing too! Give a little take a little though!

Vibration is GONE !!

Hey All,
I took the anti hop bars off and put new poly bushings in the top of the axle for the upper control arms. Cheap to try since I already had them. I didn't really see a difference in the pinion angle, but when I got the anti-hop bars off I realized that there are, in fact, no bushings to calm any vibes from the rear end. They are a neat idea, but I won't tolerate driveline vibration. So for me, this works. The name on the bars are "Genuine Suspension(s)". And I will probably get rid of them.
Thanks for your help on this matter guys!

I took the car out this morning and it felt great! I even left a little rubber in the street! God I am going to get in trouble with this thing! I just know it!:biggrin: