Upgrades to stock motor

JNettles87

Hey all I am new to the site. I'm looking to upgrade my 87 Grand National that I purchased earlier this year. I want to keep the motor and cam stock the way its sits and do some bolt ons. Already installed scanmaster and CAI. Wondering how car would do on stock motor with extender chip, precision 5931 turbo, 60lb injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump w/ hot wire kit, adjustable fuel psi regulator, LT1 maf sensor with maf translator. Transmission is also stock how would it hold up and what would be a good stall converter to run with this setup.

You pretty much need all that stuff (minus the turbo) as preventative maintenance. Along with valve springs, timing set, plugs, wires, breather block off kit, and a couple other things.

Tranny can hold up as long as it's in good shape and you don't go too nuts building horsepower.

A turbo is not preventive maintenance. Things like valve springs, timing chain, hoses, check valves, weld the DS header, hotwire, fuel pump, COMPLETE fluid change, radiator and scantool(s) are needed before flooring it the first time.

If your wanting to go faster then yes on the bigger turbo. A good stall would be around 2800-3000.

Ok I got what you are saying now about preventive maintenance. Yes I want to make it faster by upgrading the turbo to the precision 5931 turbo and other upgrades that I mentioned in first post. Motor is already in good condition done spring clean that I saw on another site. Just wondering how it will hold up to the upgrade in horsepower.

It'll hold up fine as long as you address every single weak link before beating on it.

Ok I got what you are saying now about preventive maintenance. Yes I want to make it faster by upgrading the turbo to the precision 5931 turbo and other upgrades that I mentioned in first post. Motor is already in good condition done spring clean that I saw on another site. Just wondering how it will hold up to the upgrade in horsepower.

Beat it like it owes you money!!! :D

I have all that stuff (except for the 5931) for sale if youre looking for it used.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I started out bone stock in 12/2011 and it's taken me almost two years to complete all the mods in my signature along with spring cleaning and lots of other repairs. And I'm still building up my combo without opening the motor, aside from valve springs and timing chain. Don't know what I would've done without this forum.

IMG_20131018_143531.jpg

Yeah its nice to be able to ask opinions of people who know these cars. Ever since I was a kid I've always wanted one turbo Buicks are badass and have hurt a lot of peoples feelongs. Btw engine looks good HouTX87 what kind of times you get out of it

i have most of the mods u want to do & im running in that timeslot already so go for it!! cce-44 turbo for me though & some nice stickies under the back gets er done.

Yeah its nice to be able to ask opinions of people who know these cars. Ever since I was a kid I've always wanted one turbo Buicks are badass and have hurt a lot of peoples feelongs. Btw engine looks good HouTX87 what kind of times you get out of it

Thanks. Went 12.1 @ 112 last winter. Hopefully 11's soon. These cars take a lot of patience. Trust me!

I have a more mild setup. PL. 6165dbb turbonetics turbo. PTE FMIC. 009 injectors. Xp pump. Hot wire. volt booster. Razors alky. Orig maf. TT 5.6 chip. 9.5 ptc converter.

I only went to the drags 3 times this year. I am just starting to learn how to tune it. It ran consistent low 11.80's @ 115 mph. 1.6 60's. I am sure with only more tuning it will run 11.20-11.30. On 93 oct. You have to get razors alky kit.