Upgrade advice.

anders

1989 TTA
Hi!
I am thinking of getting a new set of heads/exhaust to my TTA.
Car makes 525whp at about 5600rpm and 24psi today,but i feel that it chould be able to make atleast 650? whith my setup.
I have 3" downpipe today.
What heads and exhaust/headers do you recomend for my setup?

Thanks

Hi!
Car makes 525whp at about 5600rpm and 24psi today,but i feel that it chould be able to make atleast 650? whith my setup.

Thanks
I am using TA/SE race ported heads and ATR headers, w/a 212/212 hyd. cam @ 21# making 610 hp @ the wheels(thanks Cal!) w/a 3.8 stroker. I would recommend the same for you. TA headers would work in lieu of the ATR's.

Hi!

Thanks
Im of the opinion that if the parts you have are set up and tuned properly, you can make stupid HP... 700 plus. Unless it's somekind of exhaust restricted...or your converter is poor.

Im of the opinion that if the parts you have are set up and tuned properly, you can make stupid HP... 700 plus. Unless it's somekind of exhaust restricted...or your converter is poor.

Intake, fuel, timing, exhaust.

Nothing has changed.

There is a major difference in power levels from 24 psi to 30.

I would max out what you have first. The combo you have can do the job.

I just have to know?

You have the combo to make more power and you want to make more power. Why do you only run it at 24 psi?

Guys, he is running the TTA heads. For those that dont know, they can only handle low 10 sec power and start lifting.
TA aluminum heads with some port work will do the trick.

Guys, he is running the TTA heads. For those that dont know, they can only handle low 10 sec power and start lifting.
TA aluminum heads with some port work will do the trick.

Even with studs? :eek:

Now my mind is all over the place on the reasons why the lifting occurs on one and not the other. :banghead: :D

They are a smaller head. Less material makes it easier to lift. Dont matter what tune, or what fastener you use. You are limited to the TTA heads.

I also assumed you know the TTA has FWD heads from a Buick Lesabre? It was the only way to avoid messing with the A/C box on the PS. That is why when you go to GN heads, you lose A/C.

No sir I did not know that as I am a newbie and on a steep but grateful learning curve regarding the two platforms running gear.

I do thank you. :)

Hi!
I have tryed to pump up the boost but it wont go over 24 psi,so maybe its the exhaust or heads,turbo shoult blow up to 750 hp
I have a cutout,if closed it will only go to 19-20 psi.
I want a fast 201 streetcar,yes its fast now but my combo chould go faster,rigth ?
And it want rew more than 6300rpm
Thinking of go for a set of unported GN1 iron heads and new headers ?

Hi!
I have tryed to pump up the boost but it wont go over 24 psi,so maybe its the exhaust or heads,turbo shoult blow up to 750 hp
I have a cutout,if closed it will only go to 19-20 psi.
I want a fast 201 streetcar,yes its fast now but my combo chould go faster,rigth ?
And it want rew more than 6300rpm
Thinking of go for a set of unported GN1 iron heads and new headers ?
If you want to fly on the stock heads you need to pull timing way back and run higher boost. You can also run large hotside on the turbo and spend a ridiculous amount of $ on the valvetrain to get a couple hundred more rpm potential but it will still be cylinder pressure limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to fly on the stock heads you need to pull timing way back and run higher boost. You can also run large hotside on the turbo and spend a ridiculous amount of $ on the valvetrain to get a couple hundred more rpm potential but it will still be cylinder pressure limited

He's running a 4.1 with TTA heads and E85 Brian ... not sure this is what he wants to do with the setup he has

He's running a 4.1 with TTA heads and E85 Brian ... not sure this is what he wants to do with the setup he has
I'd throw the heads away if it were me. Open up the tuning window a mile

I'd throw the heads away if it were me. Open up the tuning window a mile

That's the easy way out .. all it takes is money ... 9's is doable .. but it takes tuning effort

That's the easy way out .. all it takes is money ... 9's is doable .. but it takes tuning effort
Thats the smart way out! Not class racing requiring that head for any reason then you are leaving a lot on the table.

Thats the smart way out! Not class racing requiring that head for any reason then you are leaving a lot on the table.

hmm .. I would call it the LAZY way out and If you have money to just blow .. also effects other TTA specific items that will need to be addressed .. depends on if the OP is willing to give up a few things

That's a minimum of a $5K swap ... is it really worth it ??? Only the OP can answer that ..

I would exhaust other less costly options first .