Unsure what to do

scottyb86t

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hey guys,
I am posting here because I am at a cross roads with my car. I spent this last winter freshening up my motor. Last weekend it spit the Rod bearings out. Now I am not asking for diagnosis or cause of my engine problems. What I am crossed up about is where to go. The car is an 86 WH1 t-top with the pillow top leather and column shift.
It is fairly clean with a couple rust blisters and definitely needs paint and the interior freshened up. When I originally determined the bearing failure my first instinct was to go all forged and start going big. However I have been rethinking this. I love the car and would like to keep it, but I want to drag race as well.
The questions I keep asking myself are;
Do I go all out with this car?
Do I do a basic stock rebuild and enjoy it?
Do I off it as it sits and start a real race build with a new car?
I would rather not change the interior and put a cage but I know once the car goes 11.0s I'll want 10s.
Currently the car has a TE-44, dutt neck, 60s, 3200 lu PTC, 212-212 flat tappet, 3.5 TA downpipe, mildly ported irons, and all the supporting mods, fp etc. Is it worth selling as it sits?
I keep asking myself if building this is worth it considering I could build an ls car for about the same money. Currently the car isn't for sale and that's why I posted in the lounge, not sure where this fits in, however it may be for sale very soon. I value the TB community and any guidance/advice is appreciated. I don't even like opening the garage door at this point, seeing her all covered up and out of service is depressing.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 152
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 156
My .02 cents:
I had a turbo mustang before I bought my GN. One of the reasons I sold the mustang was that at the level it was at( 9 sec car), things got very expensive to fix and the faster you go, the more things break. If you have deep pockets or at least no other expenses(kids,mortgage,etc) then you have more options available to you. I basically ran out of money and knew that it was only a matter of time before things broke again. I bought my GN and I will not over exceed myself. Going fast is like a drug but I have learned to control that need I guess. Now, my car looks good, is quick enough for me (i figure high 11's) and me,the wife, and three kids can go to a car show or event in a/c and not worry about the car breaking.

My .02 cents:
I had a turbo mustang before I bought my GN. One of the reasons I sold the mustang was that at the level it was at( 9 sec car), things got very expensive to fix and the faster you go, the more things break. If you have deep pockets or at least no other expenses(kids,mortgage,etc) then you have more options available to you. I basically ran out of money and knew that it was only a matter of time before things broke again. I bought my GN and I will not over exceed myself. Going fast is like a drug but I have learned to control that need I guess. Now, my car looks good, is quick enough for me (i figure high 11's) and me,the wife, and three kids can go to a car show or event in a/c and not worry about the car breaking.
Thanks for your input. I have some thinking to do.

If it were me, I would do what -JM- said. .... A quick and *reliable* road car. I think you'd have more fun with it. I know I would.

So, not to hijack here, but quick and reliable is also my goal. When you guys say 'quick'.... how quick is quick and how quick is unreliable?

I will say, if your going to keep it and make it roll bar fast, do the interior fresh up when the roll bar is done.

So, not to hijack here, but quick and reliable is also my goal. When you guys say 'quick'.... how quick is quick and how quick is unreliable?

For me, my stock GN is plenty quick, I know it's quicker than the BB 4spd chevelle I had as a kid.
I did get a stock replacement chip from Eric at turbotweak, though, made her a little quicker and drive better. I think the more areas you mod for power, the greater the chance for unreliability. But remember , I am a relative chickensh*t when it comes to modding my car, so that's why my "mods" are a bare minimum as I am not a mechanic by any stretch. I just like driving the dang thing.

You said it yourself...it's never fast enough. Run 11's and you'll want 10's, run 10's and you'll want 9's. Maybe it's best to set a target you think you'll be happy with and then figure out how reliable you can make it for that target. I wanted to run mid 11's here in Denver and still have some reliability so I over built it a bit. There are other guys that run just as fast or faster with less but they're probably pushing things a bit more than I am. I'm totally happy with where my car is and that's all that matters to me. Plus if I crank it up any further I'd have to get a cage and I'm not doing that.

The most beautiful thing about these cars is their ability to be a full weight, full luxury, 11-12 sec daily driver. So IMO that is really where these cars shine. Beyond that, I would find a diferent car and turbo LS it.

At this point the car is going to be built for 10s and run 11s (I'm close anyway). I'm picking up a roller and building a true race car. The Buick will be my cruise night street fighter. Thanks for your replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are in the right state of mind. IMO the making these cars full on drag cars with the turbo 6 is not worth it given that they are now classics and there are much cheaper ways to go fast. I am a bigger turbo and good set of tires away from a solid 10 second car, however I don't want to chop up or cage mine. I've already put down 125mph a couple times and that is fast enough. I backed off boost and timing a little and just enjoy my ride now. If I were to build a drag car, I would get a gutted 3rd gen, g body, or a body, and put a turbo LQ or LS motor in it. Simple.