unlocking phones

denn454

turbo swimmer
I'm getting pretty tired of dealing with cingular, which was att when i signed up with them; they sucked. then cingular came along, they were better, now its back to the same old att games. So i want to switch to tmobil, their coverage is almost as good as cingular, but insted of paying $80 a month,I could pay 440 a month with their favorite 5 thing they are doing. seems very cool.

problem is I just bought an awesome new phone from cingular (sony w810i- awesome phone) and tmobil doesn't have a very good selection of phones, and nothing comparable to what I have.

I know its possible to buy phones online that are unlocked, so you could use any gsm sim card (cingular and tmobil are both gsm) I did a little looking around trying to figure out how to do this, and as far as i've gotten is it has to be done through a computer. there are company's that will unlock your phone for you, its $30 and you have to send it to them. and i don't know if i trust something like that to begin with.

I have a cable to plug my phone into my computer, so if there is a program out there so i could do it myself I would, does anyone know of anything like this?