Understanding the fast dash logger

My driveshaft speed sensor did not have to be spliced into the dash, it pulls the VSS and driveshaft speed from the xfi

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Correct at a frame rate of whatever the xfi spits out, I would say 20 fps.

Your going to need to split the signal and wire it direct. I havn't played with it enough but if you also wire the tach in the other input the DASH can calculate what gear your in. All the standard engine sensors are shared via CAN.
Allan G.

My driveshaft speed sensor did not have to be spliced into the dash, it pulls the VSS and driveshaft speed from the xfi

Kinda confilicting info. I guess I'll wait until the car is up and running and see what is going on there. Kidglock, with it shared, can you output mph on your dash?

Another questions. Is anyone using the dash as a boost controler? I'm thinking about using it to do boost based on mph.

Kinda confilicting info. I guess I'll wait until the car is up and running and see what is going on there. Kidglock, with it shared, can you output mph on your dash?

Another questions. Is anyone using the dash as a boost controler? I'm thinking about using it to do boost based on mph.

If you want it to calculate the gear then you will have to splice into the line, if your just displaying mph and driveshaft speed it will pull that info from the xfi.

For the boost based on mph you can use the xfi egr table as well.

You can display the XFI DS data but your limited to the logging rate of the CAN. It depends on the functionality and accuracy your looking for. The Dash has a much faster logging rate over the CAN signal from the XFI.
AG

The pwm from the dash is a good idea, as it gives you a 16 x 16 grid instead of 8x8 and you can base it off tps/mph or any of the logged parameters on the XFI can bus or even the dash sensors. However , this is open loop boost control.

If you want it to calculate the gear then you will have to splice into the line, if your just displaying mph and driveshaft speed it will pull that info from the xfi.

For the boost based on mph you can use the xfi egr table as well.

What is different about using the egr table vs. the boost control table in the xfi. I couldn't get my laptop to connect with the ecu yesterday (usb adapter problem), but as I understand you can't pick both axis in the xfi. Your limited to boost vs. rpm. Whereas with the Dash you can pick any reference you want, time, tps, mph etc.

You can display the XFI DS data but your limited to the logging rate of the CAN. It depends on the functionality and accuracy your looking for. The Dash has a much faster logging rate over the CAN signal from the XFI.
AG

I'm not planning to use the dash for logging anyways. So your agreeing that as long as I only want to see mph on the dash that I don't need to splice it in.

The pwm from the dash is a good idea, as it gives you a 16 x 16 grid instead of 8x8 and you can base it off tps/mph or any of the logged parameters on the XFI can bus or even the dash sensors. However , this is open loop boost control.

Is the boost control in the xfi closed loop using the map sensor as feedback?

I'm not planning to use the dash for logging anyways. So your agreeing that as long as I only want to see mph on the dash that I don't need to splice it in.

Correct

You can use the XFi map sensor for feedback yes, but you can also use wastegate psi, which controls the pressure on top of the gate only. The wastegate psi is more accurate and faster to react. However, if the wastegate is slighty to small the closed loop fast control system tends to spike.

What is the downside to open loop control? Is it inconsistent?

I'm using CO2 regulated to 80 psi if it matters.

What is the downside to open loop control? Is it inconsistent?

I'm using CO2 regulated to 80 psi if it matters.

It may creep 1-2 psi at top end, depending on gate size. However if you know this you can take some duty cycle out on the top end slighty to compensate, if you use the mph table. The XFI 2.0 has no mph table for boost it is only time in PA mode or TPS based, unless you use the dash or egr table.

As far as the Co2 goes I thought the rule was not use more than 10 psi above the boost you plan to run? The c02 maybe constant but your engine bp is not that is why it will creep.

It may creep 1-2 psi at top end, depending on gate size. However if you know this you can take some duty cycle out on the top end slighty to compensate, if you use the mph table. The XFI 2.0 has no mph table for boost it is only time in PA mode or TPS based, unless you use the dash or egr table.

Between what you guys have said and reading the stuff in the index I think I understand better. I'm sure I'll play with all of the different styles to find what I like. Or I may not like any of them and end up with an AMS, who knows. :) The last time I messed with an electronic boost controller it was nothing more than a solenoid and two regulators and the solenoid was switched via the nitrous controls in classic fast.

As far as the Co2 goes I thought the rule was not use more than 10 psi above the boost you plan to run? The c02 maybe constant but your engine bp is not that is why it will creep.

Maybe so. If needed I can regulate it down further.

It shouldn't creep at all if the turbo is sized properly and the wastegate is adequate.

You are good to go then.
AG

I spent some time today getting the dash setup. Everything seems to be working fine except the MAP. It reads in psia or 14.5 when motor is off. Is there a way to change it to psig? Or does everyone bring the signal in on an analog input and create a custom curve.

So far I really like it, but I wish it had one more gauge. :). I'm looking at RPM, MAP, OIL PSI, BATT V, CTS, MAP, DSS. I wish I could see fuel psi and eventually trans temp, but there just isn't enough space.

No way around it ,the map will read wrong on the dash screen but, when you log it will show correct readings. Just add it to the list of glitches the dash logger has. Thero2 correction on the log is wacked out, but on the dash screen its okay...

Please post a pic with Key on car not running............and set scale to psi, Please post pic....