Uh oh...Body bushing install trouble

baller760

Today I began doing my body bushings and everything was going well in the beginning. I was following the instructions from gnttype.org and all the bolts came out easy, then I lifted the right side first starting with the gas tank. Bushings #6 and #7 went in with ease. Then as I was putting the #5 bushing in I had to jack the car a little higher. That's when it happened. I jacked the body up maybe one notch too far and the body shifted out of alignment from the frame. I decided to put the rest of the right side upper bushings in and see if maybe it would "magically" re-align. No such luck. the body is about 1/2'' off and it doesn't even sit down on the #7 bushing with the jack completely down. Even on the left side which I haven't touched that side is off too. So, I guess my question is, what do I do? How can I get the body back in alignment with the frame? Am I screwed?

I am trying to picture this, but I am thinking you are jacking the body up right. What are you using to jack it a floor jack with wheels or a bottle jack.

I suppose I was wondering if you are using a floor jack with wheels if you couldn't just kind of push the body over while the frame and wheels of the car rest on the ground????

Just trying to provide some food for thought...

It's a regular jack with wheels. I was lifting up at the lip of the gas tank on the passenger side with a 4X4 just like the instructions said. So the right side if you are looking from the back. I couldn't get the #5 bushing in so I lifted it up a bit more and then it jerked a bit and the body moved off alignment with the frame. I can try to take some pics to show what I did but Idk how much that will help without you really being there to see it.

Did you remove all the body bolts (both sides) before jacking up the body? I usually loosen all the bolts & only remove the bolts 1 side at a time to jack up the body. If you have removed all the bolts you should be able to support the body on 2 floor jacks (LF & RR floor pan areas) and raise the body enough to roll it back in place. A few extra hands to help with the floor jacks & bolt alignment will probally be needed.

Did you remove all the body bolts (both sides) before jacking up the body? I usually loosen all the bolts & only remove the bolts 1 side at a time to jack up the body. If you have removed all the bolts you should be able to support the body on 2 floor jacks (LF & RR floor pan areas) and raise the body enough to roll it back in place. A few extra hands to help with the floor jacks & bolt alignment will probally be needed.

THat sounds like a good plan. And if you have no hands available to help you, then I would buy 4 of those wheel dolly thingys, get the wheels on that, then place the body on 4 jack stands and try and maneuver the car that way, should work I would think.

Not as bad as youthought

such an abundance of knowledge. These were along the lines of what I was thinking.

Well I bought an alignment punch and that seemed to help me get all the bushings on. I just need to get a new bolt from the Buick dealer tomorrow for the front left #1 bushing. I have one question though. I'm not sure if it was rusted and the previous owner performed a temporary fix, or if GM designed the #6 this way. But where you screw the bolt in above the upper bushing is it supposed to be a diamond shaped thing that moves around freely up there with a sleeve in it for screwing the bolt through? It's rusted out right there and those things are barely staying in. It looks as if the upper bushings on both sides will eventually just plow it's way through the frame right there because the hole is sooo wide. I'm pretty sure it was a temporary fix from the previous person that owned the car before me so I'm guessing I'm going to have to cut a hole in my trunk on both sides where the #6 would be and do a little welding with some new metal to close up the hole. Then seal the trunk back up somehow?

#6 and #7 body mount bolts

I had the same issue. I cut the sheet metal in the trunk to get access to the diamond shaped fastener nuts you mentioned. I had to break a couple of them because they were rusted beyond saving. Then I bought stainless bolts and nuts to replace the ones I destroyed and used washers where necessary. Then I folded the sheetmetal flaps I cut back together and called it a day. When the carpet is off it looks a bit ugly but covered up its OK. I didn't want to get carried away sealing it up in case I had to access those bolts again at a later date.
Peter