Ugh...My rear view mirror falls off when tightening it up...

The Darkside

Heavy Metal Thunder
I feel stupid for even posting this, but this is driving me crazy.....lol. My rear view mirror fell off the other day, but the mounting tab is still securely attached to the windshield.. The crazy part is that when I try to tighten up the mirror on the tab, it wont tighten up evenly & just falls right back off... I tried putting it back on several times, but each time it just falls right back off......What the heck?

The mirror has some tabs that need to go over the piece on the window. Sounds like the tabs may be broken.

Charlie, The tabs on the mirror that slide over the windshield tab look to be in good shape.....When I slide it on the tab it feels secure, but when I tighten up the set screw it just pushes itself away from the tab...

The only other thing it could be is the tab but it's steel and the mirror is aluminum or pot metal.

There should be a little pocket that the set screw can screw into on the plate. This is so the set screw has a place to screw into without putting much force on the plate. Make sure the set screw is going into that little indentation and it shouldn't need to be too tight at all.

I'll double check that, but I'm pretty sure it was pressed all the way in & still didn't line up...