Typical G body problems?

$leeper

What are the "typical g-body problems?"

I am trying to learn more about the weaknesses of these cars.

Thanks

body mounts

#6 body mounts rotting out. just behind the rear wheel. head gaskets on grand nationals. mine just blew. bushings, bushings, bushings, and more control arm bushings....lol window/ t-top rattles. audio systems suck!

What are the "typical g-body problems?"

I am trying to learn more about the weaknesses of these cars.

Thanks

Typically, "these cars" drain our back account because of the "greed for power".
These cars are octane challenged as well when you start modifying them.
Oh ......... and keeping tires on are a weakness as well. :biggrin:

Seriously, they are no different than most 20 year old cars.
Just faster, more respected :eek: , and more expensive in a lot of ways.

#6 body mounts rotting out. just behind the rear wheel. head gaskets on grand nationals. mine just blew. bushings, bushings, bushings, and more control arm bushings....lol window/ t-top rattles. audio systems suck!

As opposed to t-type head gaskets..... that were solid steel shims.... and won't blow? :confused: :smile:

IMHO... the head gaskets are just fine.... Tim Stockwell went 10.7's on his stock ones before they let go.... over twice the boost they were intended for....

Most people go low 11's on the stockers... if you rattle the motor with detonation anyway... you are going to have problems.... theses aren't diesels.

I would say the brakes.

Stock powermaster brake systems on 86-87 cars blow, and can have real bad accidents as a result of failure without warning. I have always had vacum brakes on the 2 cars I have owned but the problem with these are the brakes work but I always want them to be better. Im sure if I throw enough money on bigger front brakes and a disc brake rear, Im sure it would be much better.

Gbody problems

They end up giving you a monopolistic Personality :biggrin:

Body's are never on the frame straight from the factory on a GBody

Door rust, they are galvanized on the outside skin the inners are plain steel.

Power antennas always have problems.

seat tracks break on the front left power or manual.

Console lids are crap.

Visor swivels will always come loose.

Your trans will flare eventually in 2-3 shifts

BUT, HEY.........I would not trade my GN for any other car, YET. WE (me and my students) are having WAY to much FUN with this BEAST(and spending WAY to much money-----according to my money manager-WIFE).

Heater box seal leaks into the pass side floor.

Stocks Brakes are mediocre at best

They cause Mustangs to run and hide..LOL

Also for turbo cars Oil leaks, cracked DS header, cracked horn ring, PowerMaster failure

+1 on the seat tracks!!!

They end up giving you a monopolistic Personality :biggrin:

Body's are never on the frame straight from the factory on a GBody

Door rust, they are galvanized on the outside skin the inners are plain steel.

Power antennas always have problems.

seat tracks break on the front left power or manual.

Console lids are crap.

Visor swivels will always come loose.

Your trans will flare eventually in 2-3 shifts

I do however attribute the seat track problems to the added stress of supporting our weight upright with all the G's!!! Lol

Also for turbo cars Oil leaks, cracked DS header, cracked horn ring, PowerMaster failure

When should I expect my Powermasters to fail?? One is 21 years old and the other is 20. :rolleyes:

TurboDave, a. As soon as you are absolutely sure you will Never have a problem with Yours ( aka. when you least expect it !! :eek: ) Speaking from experience :cool:

Great posts guys. This was the info I was looking for.

I still say, even with these listed problems, the turbo Buick is the best thing America has ever put together automotive wise.

I was being facetious guys. :D
I've done regular maintenance on them both over the years and don't expect them to fail.
I consider accumulator replacement (when it's required, not after the warning light's been burning for months), as regular maint. as well as 1 fluid change over the last 20 years in each.
and have only done 3 on my 86, 2 on my 87, and one pressure switch on the 87

Almost all the PM failures I've seen over the years have been a direct result of poor maintenance or abuse, or just plain ingnorance(not stupidity).

steelshim head gasket?

Is that true about the ttype and steelshim gasket? iF SO, I will be purchasing them for my car, I work at GM dealer and the steel shim gasket is only 15 dollar each, as opposed to 40 each for the victor composite.

Is that true about the ttype and steelshim gasket? iF SO, I will be purchasing them for my car, I work at GM dealer and the steel shim gasket is only 15 dollar each, as opposed to 40 each for the victor composite.

if thats true then i think someone stole mine before i opened my engine up for the first time;) but no they all came with graphite gaskets as far as i know!