Twin Turbos, what size?

The Swede

-89 TTA 7 sec car
Hi all!

We are in the progress to dicide what Turbos we are gonna use.

Engine is a 4.1 SII on center

1200 hp

Psi at 30

9:1 compr.

Optimized cam

Tranny to start with is a automatic with at least 6000 stall speed

Methanol injected

Any tips what turbos to use?

Thanks!

You are killing me with the 1200HP.
What you want are twin GT42/70MM.
These will spool on the 6 and give you room to grow.
These have gone 191MPH in Big Al's Car with the R version.
You should be ok with the non BB version.

The Swede said:
Hi all!

We are in the progress to dicide what Turbos we are gonna use.

Engine is a 4.1 SII on center

1200 hp

Psi at 30

9:1 compr.

Optimized cam

Tranny to start with is a automatic with at least 6000 stall speed

Methanol injected

Any tips what turbos to use?

Thanks!

I am going to be using twin 70's, and hope to shoot for around 1200. :)

You're gonna kill me..... I got offered $1700 for it so it's gone. :( Serial was 2770. I got my eyes on another though, believe it or not. :)

Big Stu said:
You're gonna kill me..... I got offered $1700 for it so it's gone. :( Serial was 2770. I got my eyes on another though, believe it or not. :)

That is fine, things are right now anyways...

BTW twin GT70s would work well.
This is what the White Racing guys are using to make massive power!

Picking twins is really pretty easy. You look at the estimated HP (1200 in this case) and you divide by two. So the question really is what turbo will work good at 600 hp and 30# of boost.

At only 600 hp AND 30 psi a T70 will be real close to compressor surge. ESPECIALLY if you dont keep a close eye on turbo inlet and outlet restrictions. As you start approaching 1300 to 1400 hp total OR you start looking at the 1200 hp at something closer to 25# then the T70's start looking pretty good.

A pair of T66's map out real nice for your senerio. If you keep the inlet and outlet restrictions very low a pair of T66's will feed the 1200hp anywhere from around 24 to 30 psi AND be operating at peak compressor efficiency of 76%. This is a pretty high compressor efficiency wether you're talking old school or new style (GT) compressor wheels.

The GT4294 which has the 70.3mm compressor wheel, which I believe is the gt40/70mm that John was taliking about maps out real nice for the given senerio. Infact the compressor section will be knocking around the 77 to 78% compressor efficiency range. From a pure comp eff standpoint a pair of these would be the winners. The only thing that makes me wonder about a pair of these is that they wouldn't hit the " I think these may be a little to small now" until you started pushing around 1600 hp! You would think that if 1200 hp was the true goal that a smaller pair may be a good choice d/t better spool up. Then again too much power too soon may lead to skid marks some where other than on the track :eek:

HTH and just remember that when you pick a pump for any application the amout of flow and the pressure you want it to be operating at are equally important.

Jason

Hello again and thanks for all the tips and info!

Just thinking.... what about T66 (66mm) Q trim exhaust (70mm)?

Ohhh... and i have also changed my old website in my profile, please jump in and have a look at our new car!

www.stb-racing.com

It will be painted soon and we are also very close to be sponsored on the turbos.

Thanks again guys!

postal said:
Picking twins is really pretty easy. You look at the estimated HP (1200 in this case) and you divide by two. So the question really is what turbo will work good at 600 hp and 30# of boost.

At only 600 hp AND 30 psi a T70 will be real close to compressor surge. ESPECIALLY if you dont keep a close eye on turbo inlet and outlet restrictions. As you start approaching 1300 to 1400 hp total OR you start looking at the 1200 hp at something closer to 25# then the T70's start looking pretty good.

A pair of T66's map out real nice for your senerio. If you keep the inlet and outlet restrictions very low a pair of T66's will feed the 1200hp anywhere from around 24 to 30 psi AND be operating at peak compressor efficiency of 76%. This is a pretty high compressor efficiency wether you're talking old school or new style (GT) compressor wheels.

The GT4294 which has the 70.3mm compressor wheel, which I believe is the gt40/70mm that John was taliking about maps out real nice for the given senerio. Infact the compressor section will be knocking around the 77 to 78% compressor efficiency range. From a pure comp eff standpoint a pair of these would be the winners. The only thing that makes me wonder about a pair of these is that they wouldn't hit the " I think these may be a little to small now" until you started pushing around 1600 hp! You would think that if 1200 hp was the true goal that a smaller pair may be a good choice d/t better spool up. Then again too much power too soon may lead to skid marks some where other than on the track :eek:

HTH and just remember that when you pick a pump for any application the amout of flow and the pressure you want it to be operating at are equally important.

Jason

Jason,

Great post, I went with the GT4294s because I think they are being modest with the 1200HP. The have the chassis to go after the fastest door slammer buick v6, they might as well have the turbos! Depending on the weight we should see another 6 second V6! If Big Al can go 191MPH you should have 200MPH with the much improved aerodynamics!

Thanks for all the info.

Uffe and I are looking at all possible solutions and possibilities. What if we would go with a single turbo setup, how would it be to spool a Turbonetics Y2k T88? What do all You guru´s think of such a setup?

Lunkan said:
Thanks for all the info.

Uffe and I are looking at all possible solutions and possibilities. What if we would go with a single turbo setup, how would it be to spool a Turbonetics Y2k T88? What do all You guru´s think of such a setup?

The Y2K88 would work fine.
Tony Gomes using a BB94 with out any issues.
We are going to try a GT55 91MM on one of our cars.