Twin Turbo 454?

Dusty Bradford said:
True. But he can buy a short block or long block already assembled with the parts he needs for a great price. No need for girdles with the Chevy stuff. If it's going in a 65 continental weight probably isn't an issue.

Weight defienatley isn't an issue and neither is mpg. When your talking about 1000hp on the street I don't think gas mileage is a priority. Besides I plan on lowering the car a significant amount. Weight distribution should be relatively even especially with 15ft of car behind the engine bay :D

mikebart101 said:
Weight defienatley isn't an issue and neither is mpg. When your talking about 1000hp on the street I don't think gas mileage is a priority. Besides I plan on lowering the car a significant amount. Weight distribution should be relatively even especially with 15ft of car behind the engine bay :D
Sorry for bringing up Fords all the time, but they were a big part of my life for a long time. The July issue of 5.0 (mentions my name on page 150, hehe..shameless plug), has a stang with a small block ford with a centrifugal blower, making 850hp at the wheels, and gets 20mph on the highway! I think its a solid 10 second car and thats even with 2.73 gears. I figure if you can have the best of both worlds, why not? Im sure once the car is done and you're driving it all the time, you'll suddenly come to appreciate the mileage factor.

VadersV6 said:
Sorry for bringing up Fords all the time, but they were a big part of my life for a long time. The July issue of 5.0 (mentions my name on page 150, hehe..shameless plug), has a stang with a small block ford with a centrifugal blower, making 850hp at the wheels, and gets 20mph on the highway! I think its a solid 10 second car and thats even with 2.73 gears. I figure if you can have the best of both worlds, why not? Im sure once the car is done and you're driving it all the time, you'll suddenly come to appreciate the mileage factor.

Congrats on the article. I definately like mpg when the car is meant to be economic in some respect, but with 1000 ponies on tap I beleive I will have a very heavy foot most of the time. Going fast with lincoln class is what I have been thinking about for a long time :)

mikebart101 said:
Congrats on the article. I definately like mpg when the car is meant to be economic in some respect, but with 1000 ponies on tap I beleive I will have a very heavy foot most of the time. Going fast with lincoln class is what I have been thinking about for a long time :)
Thanks! So is there any reason you dont wanna go with a ford powerplant, given its a lincoln? Ford offers some kick ass 393 cube, 351 based block crate motors. 800-900hp would easily be attainable with 15psi.
CHP is a really top notch engine builder. You can get a good 393 with aluminum heads, Forged I-Beam rods and a roller cam for 5k.
CHP
Heres another page showing the 393 combos. You can get a really good setup for $6300. CHP 393 combos

So what kind of brake setup do you plan on going with to stop a 1000hp, rolling spruce goose? :eek:

if you like big blocks, nothin beats the long stroke of a 460. that would be a killer twin turbo :eek: they take a bit o doin to get a lot of revs out of though.

After some thinking, I've decided that my best route would probably be building a nice Caddy 500ci into a twin turbo monster. These things are a dime a dozen and are already pretty beefy. These motors were used in drag racing back in the day because of their high nickel content and bullit proof nature.You have to be in order to make well over 500ft lbs from the factory.

In terms of braking, I was thinking discs on all four corners, probably an aftermarket kit made for an f350 or something along the lines of that. Maybe I should throw a shute on the back for good measure :biggrin:

VadersV6 said:

Sick... congratulations!!! :biggrin:

mikebart101 said:
After some thinking, I've decided that my best route would probably be building a nice Caddy 500ci into a twin turbo monster. These things are a dime a dozen and are already pretty beefy. These motors were used in drag racing back in the day because of their high nickel content and bullit proof nature.You have to be in order to make well over 500ft lbs from the factory.QUOTE]
I say stick with the 454 idea. Car Craft did an article a few months ago on a local '68 Camaro with a 7yr old(?) 454 crate motor with twin 60's and a blow through carb. He was running 8.60's on 16lbs of boost an 116 oct gas.

mikebart101 said:
After some thinking, I've decided that my best route would probably be building a nice Caddy 500ci into a twin turbo monster. These things are a dime a dozen and are already pretty beefy. These motors were used in drag racing back in the day because of their high nickel content and bullit proof nature.You have to be in order to make well over 500ft lbs from the factory.

In terms of braking, I was thinking discs on all four corners, probably an aftermarket kit made for an f350 or something along the lines of that. Maybe I should throw a shute on the back for good measure :biggrin:

I would rethink the caddy buildup. I did alot of research on these engines several years ago. They were the baddest stock motor (torque) of any of the mass produced engines of the big 3 automakers. In 1970 the 500 Caddy Elderado made 400 hp and 550 lb-ft of torque........ stock...... and the engine weighed in much lighter than a BBC....... but slightly heavier than a SBC. The research I did led me to think the stock caddy 500 block would not RELIABLY stand more than 500 or so honest hp....... far from your goal..... combine than with almost no aftermarket hi-perf parts..... including crappy stock heads with as small or smaller valves than a 283 SBC...... it is hardly a hi-perf foundation..... but stock for stock comparison..... the 1970 Caddy 500 ..... is torque king......

HTH

If it were me, I would do a twin turbo 331 SBF....tiny block, light weight, makes big power. The ford aftermarket has come so far in the past 10 years that there are few who can touch their level of technology and advancement. This motor wouldnt have so much off idle torque that you would blow the tires off the car with anything past 1/4 throttle....Ive been in cars like that, and its actually really boring once you get over the novelty of the big torque. My best friend in high school bought a '70 buick Skylark for 50 bucks. It made like 450 lb ft...or was it 500...cant remember... and we used to do 1/8 mile long burnouts, but it got boring. Its fun at first but Id rather have a gradual curve that can get the car moving without shocking the **** out of the suspension and therefore, the tires. You know what a turbo can do with a 3.8....imagine what 2 can do to a 5.4