TurboLink VehiclePak 6 available for downloading ...

kenmosher

Whoosh!
VehiclePak 6 is now available for downloading to TurboLink v4.x users.

The link is:

http://www.appAuto.com/upgrades/tl4_VehPak_6.msi

BE SURE TO UNINSTALL ALL OLD VERSIONS OF TURBOLINK BEFORE INSTALLING THIS!!!!

If the installer should ask you to REMOVE or REPAIR, choose REMOVE and wait for the installer to finish. Then rerun the installer and it should install fresh.

We want to make sure everyone starts with this fresh version, since future VehiclePaks will be smaller "add ons" and will rely on having a "base" install.

This VehiclePak includes:
  • Enhanced Turbo Regal screens with black backgrounds
    Hot Air cars have a larger display with ALDL mode available
    86-89 F-Bodies have new screens
    HELP has been enhanced (particularly with Spreadsheet "How to ..." for the columns)
    Several small code tweaks to address minor cosmetic and functional items.

I removed the old versions.

After starting the install I got the error message:

Error 1904
Module C:\windows\system\msxmdll failed to register
HRESULT-2147023782

I tried using ignore and continue, and that did not work, so did a remove and tried again, and got the same error message, and discontinued

HELP,
PLEASE,
LOL

Ouch!

OK, go to control panel -> Add/Remove

Make sure that anything that says "TurboLink" is removed.

Redownload:

http://www.appAuto.com/upgrades/TL4_VehPak_5.msi

Double click the downloaded msi file. The installer should come up. If it asks to "Repair", choose "REMOVE".

It should install cleanly.... if it doesn't, I wonder about your Windoze system integrity. The installer is MS standard installer and we don't mess with the DLL you listed. We just copy over the config file (*.enc) and our DLL and EXE and register the controls we use.

The DLL you listed sounds almost like an IE component?

Awesome Update :)

Easy download. I like the dark screen and the bigger numbers, can use Tlink now without my bifocals ;)

Thanks Ken :)

*DOH*... fat fingers!

Should be a 6 instead of 5 in the link:

http://www.appAuto.com/upgrades/TL4_VehPak_6.msi

It's really important to make sure that everything is uninstalled in the Add/Remove Programs. This install package is using a new "Product Code" that allows for smaller downloads in the future for upgrades ... but it requires a clean install.

Ken,

When can we expect to get patches instead of full downloads? I really have no clue as to which is the "latest" version - for example, I went to the download site yesterday and got "TurboLink 4.0.4.msi" at 8.7 megs, yet you're saying the latest is actually "TL4_VehPak_6.msi" at 6.5 megs. This is entirely too confusing, as is uninstalling the previous version. There are plenty of patching updater type programs out there that will solve this malady. You've got a really great program that NEEDS a matching installer/updater! :D

Ummm... we're using MS installer.

It has to do with the way the product codes are registered in the registry and they certainly make it a PITA! :)

Basically, the TL4_VehPak_6.msi is exactly what you're describing. It is the new "base" so we can release any other code with just the pieces that change.

BTW, previous VehiclePaks were exactly that ... they were ONLY add-ons (not full releases).

VehiclePak 4 was only screen changes and new datastreams and was about 1 Mb.

SO ... sorry it seems confusing, but it should be easier from now on out (we've got a better feel of how the installer wants the Product Codes registered).

Well, I finally seem to have gotten to the bottom of the problem, with my set up.

My 98 must have been an early version.
And it had never been online and updated. It's just been on a low buck laptop for auto work for years.

Well in a related matter, I decided to try and LAN my ecm bench's laptop, and the one I use for code work. Well in getting that done, I was then able to access the net and get the various windows updates for all the laptops.

The one I'd been using for TurboLink took 19 Updates.

I'll also erased everything, and reloaded 98 just prior to the Update routine.

So now my Turbolink seems to running flawlessly.

Wow!

I think it might the version of DCOM that MS snuck into the IE XML stuff during one of those updates.

Our development machines are supposed to be backwards compatible all the way to Window 95, but I'll bet that the build process sucked in the later MS components, since we keep the machines current with the latest MS updates.

Sorry about the confusion and we'll look into it and see if we can trace this one down!

Originally posted by kenmosher
Wow!

I think it might the version of DCOM that MS snuck into the IE XML stuff during one of those updates.

Our development machines are supposed to be backwards compatible all the way to Window 95, but I'll bet that the build process sucked in the later MS components, since we keep the machines current with the latest MS updates.

Sorry about the confusion and we'll look into it and see if we can trace this one down!

Is there any dates or sumthin off the installation disc that might help?.

Well, gonna show off the ecm bench, and what errratic injectors sound like, today, so if it's going mess up, that'd be the time, LOL.

Wow. I got the same exact error message as Bruce. My laptop is used in the same way. Just an old P166 I use to run TLink. However, unlike Bruce, the microsoft windows update site was no help since I got an error there too when I went to scan for available updates.

Pretty sure I removed all old versions of TLink first. Never had any prior installation problems with ver 4 or the other vehicle paks.

Why does everything I do with a computer have to be so difficult?:confused: :( :mad:

Any advice? Thought I'd bring this problem to the attention of one of my local computer geek friends to see if he knows what the heck is going on. I sure don't.

Mike

Originally posted by stickybones
Wow. I got the same exact error message as Bruce. My laptop is used in the same way. Just an old P166 I use to run TLink. However, unlike Bruce, the microsoft windows update site was no help since I got an error there too when I went to scan for available updates.

Pretty sure I removed all old versions of TLink first. Never had any prior installation problems with ver 4 or the other vehicle paks.

Why does everything I do with a computer have to be so difficult?:confused: :( :mad:

Any advice? Thought I'd bring this problem to the attention of one of my local computer geek friends to see if he knows what the heck is going on. I sure don't.

Mike

Try McAfee Quick Clean.
That worked for me one time.

This is puzzling and we're looking into it. We don't know if one of the updates from Microsoft was applied to the machine we do the releases from is causing it or what....

We're digging, but it seems to be only affecting very old versions of Windows 95/98. We'll post a fix when we find the difference (still haven't located any difference in our builds from previous builds! *DOH*).

OK ... looks like we've got it narrowed down to a new version of the MS XML parser that got included in the install package.

It looks to be a problem only on early versions of Windows 98 and Windows 95.

If you HAVEN'T seen the error message during install, then you shouldn't have to worry about redownloading the fix.

IF the testing goes well today, we should have an updated VehiclePak that should fix the problem. I appreciate the patience and the input! :):)

Got it to install. Had to update my laptop to Internet Explorer 6.0. After that it would scan the updates at URL=http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com]Windows Update[/URL] Installed the critical updates (don't think I got all the available updates) and TLink would now install. Go figure. Have no idea what any of this means, but the end result was good in that I now have the latest TLink running on my laptop.

Originally posted by III'S 87 GN
first time trying to use update and get

"screen did not inialize properly"

whats up ?

Starting from the beginning:

1. Be sure you download the latest VehiclePak (which has the fixes discussed above).

2. When you run the installer, choose "REMOVE" the first time

3. If doesn't present you with a REMOVE, go to ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS (probably a good step just to verify anyway). Make sure everything with "TurboLink" in it is removed.

4. Once everything is uninstalled, rerun the installer and it should do a clean install.

5. If you still get the message, then go to Program Files -> TurboLink 4.0 -> Support and run the program "register.bat" that will manually reregister all the components

Sorry for all the confusion here ... the MS Installer is supposed to be the "one to use" according to developer's network. However, we've had to fight it every step of the way. I think we have it "on the ropes" now.