Turbolink or Scanmaster

ccbrett

QUICK 6
Hey guys thinking of buying one or the other which one is better and will turbolink work with windows vista. Thanks

Direct scan will require a laptop..to monitor....and tune...and although it was ahead of its time when it first came out it really has not been updated in years.....Scanmaster is a stand alone unit...but in its basic form is slow in the data rate...and is good for basic tuning...TPS IAC and monitoring other sensors...now when you combine it with Power Logger you get faster update speed...ability to monitor EGR AFR MAP on the Scan master etc as well as the ability to data log with a lap top... so first get scanmaster then get powerlogger w/faster update chip for scanmaster....

Thanks guys now where is the best place to get these. Been looking on here for members getting rid of theres but im always too late. Thanks again

I have the update chip. I do not have or use scanmaster. I don't know what version of chip i have, but if you want it it's yours.

Can't log data with a scanmaster. I like to look at a pass after the fact. If you just want to monitor, then scanmaster is the way to go.

Why limit yourself to just those two choices?

As was stated, Scanmaster is a GREAT device for monitoring purposes but not a data logger.(everybody should have one regardless)

Turbolink can data log, but its achiles heal is the fact that it's a serial ALDL data link, and as such only pruduces one frame of date every 1.5 seconds. That's only about 8 good data points on an average quarter mile run. :eek:

Powerlogger is also a data logger, but because it plugs directly into the ECM's parallel address and data bus, the amount of data is tremendous. Upwards of 18 or more frames per second. That's at least 240 data points during an average run (not counting burnout, etc.) :eek: :eek:

+1, adding that good ole' Direct Scan nearly equals the Powerlogger datalogger-wise, for $150-ish used - if you can find one - for the 'budget minded'.... :smile:

As the others have said, PowerLogger seems to be the premier data logger scan tool these days for our cars. Scanmaster is excellent for all day every day monitoring purposes; something every TR should have in it. That being said though, if you're on a budget, I'm looking to sell my Turbolink package. $125 shipped (CONUS) if you're interested. Let me know.

Mike

If your chip has the fast ALDL data patch in it, Turbolink will display data about 3 times faster.

Whatever you choose to go with, as you can see we are here to help. Now go put your foot in it.:biggrin: