Turbobuick.com Troop Support Project

PCS74

NOTE:

I will be out of town from Nov. 24th to Nov. 27th and will not be able to respond to this thread.
I will make all updates in this thread.
The previous thread is located at http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140613

I have compiled a good list of items our guys need and want. I have broken it down into categories. Please pay special attention to the “Absolutely No” category and to the notes besides the specific items. By no means are you allowed to send only items listed here, just please be sure that whatever you donate will survive the trip.

I would recommend deciding how much you want to spend and then trying to balance it between needs and wants. Many of the items listed qualify as both so you can kill two birds with one stone.

If you want to send candy that is fine, I did not list it. The two guys I spoke to said they got sick of it, but liked to have it available for the Iraqi children. The soldiers themselves prefer foods that are easy to open, easy to eat and satisfying (good food, not junk food).

We will be donating to two groups. The first are the soldiers injured during this conflict who are currently in the hospital at Landstuhl, Germany. The second group will be a ground combat unit, which unit has not been determined. Please keep this in mind when selecting your donations, and please recommend a unit for consideration if you know one.

How much you do is not important, doing something is. Even if you can only afford to write a letter of appreciation it will be greatly appreciated and I want too have it to send to our guys.

Recommended Items:

Absolutely No:
.. Liquids
.. Chocolate (melts)
.. Perishable foods
.. Home cooked foods
.. Breakables
.. Canned vegetables
.. Anything that melts

Wants

Food items:
.. Beef jerky (#1 most favorite, variety please)
.. Summer sausage
.. Cheese (Non-perishable only)
.. Soups (chunky)
.. Canned foods (ravioli, spaghetti/meatballs, beef-a-roni) (NO VEGETABLES)
.. Canned Tuna
.. Bubblegum
.. Drink mixes (PRESWEETENED ONLY, kool-aid, Gatorade, lemonade, etc.)
.. Coffee
.. Chips (Pringles or other hard packaged chips/crackers only)
.. Cereal/Granola bars
.. Microwave popcorn
.. Spices (seasoned salt, pepper, salt, sugar and others)
.. Fast food condiments
.. Sunflower seeds, peanuts, cashews
.. Cookies (nutter butter, oreos, fig newtons, etc)
.. Snuff (In tin only, plastic ruins the taste)(very valuable for bartering purposes)

Entertainment:
.. MP3’s (#1 most favorite, very important, the more you can fit on it the better)
.. CD’s (new or old)
.. Disposable cameras
.. Books (softback only, new or old)
.. Magazines (automotive, gun, sports, other in that order, new or old)
.. Board games
.. Travel games (small roadtrip type)
.. Cross-word puzzles
.. Sports stuff (BB gloves, baseballs, b-balls, f-balls, Frisbees, hackie sacks)
.. Ball pump

Needs
.. Hand written letters of appreciation (note: add a joke in a PS)(very important)
.. Pictures and letters from kids (very important)
.. Baby wipes (very, very important, the more the better)
.. Stamps, envelopes, paper, pens, pencils (very important)
.. Calling cards (very important, AT&T is best)
.. Toiletries (tooth brush, toothpaste, soap etc.)
.. White t shirts (important, s, m, l, xl)
.. Socks (important, tubular, s, m, l, xl)
.. Sweats and long-johns (important, s, m, l, xl)
.. Sunscreen
.. Avon Skin-so-soft
.. Band-aids
.. Cough drops
.. Small Kleenex packages
.. Eye drops
.. Chapstick
.. Tylenol, ibuprofen, excedrin
.. OFF, DEET,
.. Mag-Light bulbs
.. Batteries (AA and AAA mostly)
.. Baseball hats
.. Bandannas
.. Zip-lock bags

All goods donations, no money currently, can be shipped to me. If a large amount of people wish to send money we will have to set something up where the money can be sent to a third party, accounted for and then used where required after that time.

My address is:

Chris Skarzenski
10309 Rosser Rd
Dallas Tx 75229

My phone numbers are

214-886-3064 (mobil)
214-353-7110 (home)

I would prefer for you to call my home phone, but note that my answering machine is not currently on. I will turn it on tomorrow (Monday) afternoon. I will be out of town from Nov. 24th to Nov 27th. I am in the final few weeks of school and my schedule is extremely busy, so I may be slow to return your call, please be patient with me.

Please have all donations shipped by December 10th. I will start packing Dec13th and want everything ready to ship Dec 20th.

That is all I can think of at this time. I will update as more information comes to mind.

Thanks,

Chris Skarzenski:D

I own a catering company in Tyler, southeast of Dallas. If time permits with business and all I'd be willing to get some stuff together. I'd love to make jerky, but it takes time that I'm not sure that I have right now. We do however make cookies, and other goods that I can vacuum pack. I also make the best pecans around..they are shelf stable and CW, Joe Midolo and few other guys can vouch for them. I can also buy some spice packs etc in bulk through my purveyors. Let me know if the bulk items would be better for you.

Shoot me an email lwbowman@juno.com

Chris,

Replied to your PM.

Gogo84,

The pecans sound great. The jerky would e great as well if you have time, but don't feel pressured, as I want to make this as easy as possible for everyone to get involved.

Bulk goods sound like a good idea, but I don't know how it will actually work out. Currently I have not recieved alot of interest in this and bulk items may end up being a bad way to go.

Chris Skarzenski

I just got an order for 1100# of the pecans. I'll do my best to over produce and send some your way.

Whit

Originally posted by GoGo84
I just got an order for 1100# of the pecans. I'll do my best to over produce and send some your way.

Whit

A 1/2 ton of nuts?? Some ego you must have!! People lined up for milies just to try your nuts! :eek:

Please let me know what is goin on with this. I do have access to a factory near me that does nuts. They have these cajun peanuts that are excellent. I could get a few bags of these. Let me know.

Chris,

I picked up a bunch of stuff today to send out to you, and will be picking up a few more things tomorrow. I just need to scrounge up a box and get everything packaged up and shipped. I can do that Monday or Tuesday. Is UPS okay for shipping to your house?

As others have mentioned I'd prefer the care package gets to a front line Army or Marine unit. GN85 also had a good suggestion about not forgetting about the guys recovering from wounds at the hospital in Germany as well. While I'm proud of all of our men and women in uniform I just feel that the guys at the front or those wounded and recovering need our support the most.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together Chris. Great idea!!! :cool: :)

Machinegun,

Peanuts would be excellent, and anything you can do is greatly appreciated.

TRBON8R,

Yes, I want this to go to a front line unit as well as to Landstuhl. I will be coordinating with Chris Wren and Brian Collins for the Germany delivery. Since I have received no suggestions on a front line unit, I am going to locate a Marine unit for the rest once I have free time.

UPS is fine, but I would prefer if you would pack it in your GN and ship it to me:). Beautiful car.

Chris Skarzenski

i know of a fellow buick GN owner in teh desert of afghanistan in a front line unit, if you guys are looking to sponser another group i can give the information out.
Sgt Grant Farmer

Chris,

Everything is boxed up and ready to go. It will go out by UPS tomorrow. I got slammed at work this week and didn't have time to get everything organized until tonight. Darn these short days when it gets dark at 5 o'clock!

Please let me know when the package gets there. Thanks again for putting this together, and keep us posted when you find out which units all of the goodies are going to. :)

Thanks for the complement on the car. :)

Guys I want to thank you personally for participating in this kind gesture.

Unfortunately, I've been finding out that there has not been as good of a turnout as one would have hoped. I remember on the original thread, there were many people who were indeed intersted in donating, but things are starting to come up pretty thin here.

I think Chris has gone thru a lot of trouble to organize this, get materials and information. But so far, not much has made it's way to Texas.

I would like to know if pushing back the deadline would help with peoples shipments/donations. I understand that it is the holiday season and we're all busy with Chrismtas shopping and holiday events. But that really doesn't mean to we should be selling our brave fighting men and women short.

So, to all those who posted in the original thread who said they were interested, please chime in and explain what can be done to make this more 'convenient'.

Once again, those who have contributed, my sincerest thanks.

Tried to edit my last post but was I beyond the time limit. :(

I have a question. Are you reboxing all the items that you receive and then paying shipping costs yourself?

I know the money I and others are paying to ship our boxes to you is money that could have been spent on buying more items for the troops. Would it be a viable idea for those who have not yet sent items to send money to you and then you buy the items? Just trying to get the most items to the troops as possible.

Originally posted by gn85
Guys I want to thank you personally for participating in this kind gesture.

Unfortunately, I've been finding out that there has not been as good of a turnout as one would have hoped. I remember on the original thread, there were many people who were indeed intersted in donating, but things are starting to come up pretty thin here.

I think Chris has gone thru a lot of trouble to organize this, get materials and information. But so far, not much has made it's way to Texas.

I would like to know if pushing back the deadline would help with peoples shipments/donations. I understand that it is the holiday season and we're all busy with Chrismtas shopping and holiday events. But that really doesn't mean to we should be selling our brave fighting men and women short.

So, to all those who posted in the original thread who said they were interested, please chime in and explain what can be done to make this more 'convenient'.

Once again, those who have contributed, my sincerest thanks.

I think Chris said it well. Guys this really is important. I know going shopping sucks, heaven knows I hate it. However, when you compare the hardships those guys in the big sandbox are going through every day, an hour long trip to Target or Wal Mart really isn't that much to ask. I'm sure whatever you can afford to contribute no matter how small would be greatly appreciated by a fine group of Americans that are giving their all under extremely difficult circumstances. :)

Trbon8r,

Thanks very much.

Look,

Thank you very much for participating.

Yes I plan on doing reboxing. I didn't want to do a donation drive as I am leary about handling large amounts of money from people all over the country. There are too many ways for lines to get crossed and things to go wrong. This way it is much easier to account for what has been given and what has been sent. With the board members, me and Chris Wren or Brian Collins(whichever receives the packages from me) I feel we have a good set of checks and balances set up so we can avoid any misunderstandings. It's a CYA for everyone.

I have not had the time I want to publicise this as I feel it needs to be publicised. I am in the final week of school and my exams are very tough this semester so they have taken all of my extra time to prepare for minus short RandR breaks here and there(I usually feel like just reading during my breaks, not posting, and it takes me a very long time even to type out a short post). Because I have been so short on time I asked Chris if he felt the final shipping date should be delayed one week. I think we probably will delay, but it will depend on how much more interest I can generate next week.

Chris S

Originally posted by gn85

I have been so busy myself, I havent been able to go to Walmart and fight the crowds. I originally thought of making a financial contribution, and in fact have the money in my paypal account ready to go. I do understand Chris's dilema on the money thing though, so I will definately try to get a box out or be looking to see if a financial option becomes available. I was also thinking of contributing directly to the uso, but really wanted to be involved in this effort if possible.