TurboBob, got a minute?

rabidcoyote97

In a recent thread I posted on the Tech page, your name was mentioned as the guru behind the Translator Plus unit. It was also suggested in that thread that you would be the man most able to definitively answer a question in regard to dip settings on said unit.

The main issue lies with the use/non-use of Dip switch #3 in my 1987 GN. I am currently running 50 lb PTE injectors with a PTE chip, equipped with the T-Plus unit and 3"MAF. Here's the dilemma; most say that because I do not have an Extender Extreme chip, I should have the switch in the OFF position. Others suggest that keeping the switch in the ON position essentially controls the limiter, as it pertains to MAF values read by the ECM.

If my terminology is incorrect, I apologize. I am new to the TB community, and am only beginning to learn the basics of the power 6. Any assistance you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm not Bob but I have a translator and have asked Bob about this in the past. Switch 3, the limiter, should be on for any non-extender chip. This hardware limits the maximum frequency the maf will send to the ecm and prevents maf dropouts. This alone made a translator and lt1 maf worth it to me even though I had access to a replacement good stock maf when mine died. Yes, chipmakers can lock the maf to 255 at wot but this is cleaner and foolproof.

Thanks for the reply Carl. I'm new to the TB community and am working on resolving a tip in stumble issue my car is having. In attempting to try and tune the tip in out of the car, I have tried quite a few settings on the T Plus. Although I currently have that Dip switch in the ON position, the throttle response doesn't seem as crisp as it does when its in the OFF position. Of course, if I'm going to tune the car properly and maximize the value of the T Plus unit, I figured I'd talk to Bob and get the "the rest of the story".

By the way, nice to see a fellow Marylander on the board. I'm in Conowingo, about 10-15 minutes from Cecil County Dragway.

Come down to Laurel the 1st Tuesday of each month for pizza and bench racing (N. Laurel Pizza Hut on Rt 1 N about 1 mile south of Rt 32, 7 pm - 9 or 10 pm). Maybe we can hook up at Cecil in October, as well.

I'm not Carl, but I thought I'd chime in.

The tip-in stumble is not typical with 50's. So you need to verify all the other things that can cause it. (the list is long)

What is your idle BLM?
What are the switch settings in the Translator?
Make sure the Cam sensor is not 180 degrees reversed.
plugs, wires, and coilpack should be checked.
vaccuum leaks

Regards,

Bob

Bob, I can't believe I didn't meet you face-to-face in Bowling Green. I stopped and talked with Mike Licht and I completely forgot to ask him if you were there, and you were probably standing next to him the whole time :). I did check in OH but they said you couldn't make the trip. Any plans to come east to Englishtown or Cecil Co?

Carl, I'd really like to get down there on Tuesday night. Unfortunately, I work on 2nd shift and won't be able to. If you do plan on going to Cecil, definitely drop me a note and let me know. I'll look for you up there.

Bob, I've made adjustments to adjustments. I've had the bLM's high and low, all dependent on which T Plus setting was incorporated. I've adjusted by fuel pressure, where the tip-in seems much worse at higher pressures than lower pressures. I have yet to check the cam sensor; I first need to replace the adj. fuel pressure regulator, and I haven't had time to do so. At this point, I'm waiting on a new computer chip, as I think I've just about exhausted all other options.

But my initial question is the big one. The debate rages on as to where the 3rd DIP should be placed (on or off). Some who I've discussed this with say it has to be in the OFF position unless I am running an Extender chip. Others I spoken with say even with a non_Extender chip, the 3rd DIP should be in the ON position, as it will limit the maximum frequency the maf will send to the ecm and prevent maf dropouts. So....which is it? Is it one, or the other, or possibly either, or neither??

Any clarity or perspective on my question would be huge, as there is more confusion on this subject than you'd believe. Thanks in advance.

It's really very clear, with a non extender chip, dip switch 3 should be ON. Off if you're using an extender.

Thats what I thought, explain "how" it does what it does. Does the switch half the freq?

Thats the confusion.

THX..

It's not necessary to post all the trade secrets......

Switch 3 = Off for EXTENDER chips
Switch 3 = On for ALL OTHER CHIPS.

Bob

Ahhhhh.. its one of those if I tell ya.. I gotta kill ya things ;)

Its now 100% clear. Thanks.

If switch 3 is suppose to be "off" then why do my extender extreme chip instructions say to set switches all to on on on on? Doesn't make sense. What am I missing here? Also I received a gray wire with my extreme chip. Can someone shed some light on what this wire is and if it is necessary for the chip and car to run smoothly. Thanks.

The Extreme is a different animal, when switch 4 is on, the translator is in Extreme mode, and switch 3 doesn't matter. It's just easier to say "all on" with the extreme......

The gray wire is for convenience in adjusting parameters 8-11. It is not necessary to install it for the car to run well. If you don't install it, you would need to remove the calpak when you want to adjust parameters 8-11.

B