Turbo Whistle

TURBOV6

"SECRET PARTS"
Staff member
I'm interested in which turbo has the quitest to the loudest whistle. I heard that the 44's are one of the loudest and Turbonetics turbo's being one the quitest?

I have a 51 & cant hear mine till im in oost & then it whistles pretty good with the cold air intake you can really hear it sucking...I heard one guys rolling in a parking lot & was whistling liek a dang supercharger..sounded awesome..He said it was a 60 or 60 something turbo..he was a kid..bought it that way..had no clue..i told him if he ever wanted to sell the turbo to call me..I wanted it..sounded mean as hell..If anyone has a turbo that whistles liek this when idling let me know what kind or size it is..I want one.
Brian

The" whistle" you are refering to is dependent on many things, not just turbo size and brand. I have installed several TA 49s. But only one whistled noticeably. My TE 45 sounded like a jet taking off at med to WOT. Butothers ive been around didnt.In comparison my LTE 70 doesnt sound anything like that.

My 49 was louder than my 52. I have no idea why. I have usually heard guys say that the TE44 is the loudest out of any turbo's they've heard.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Most, if not all, the "whistle" depends greatly on the air filter location. The "whistle" is coming from the air filter and the exhaust . If you have a cold air box and the air filter is down inside the fender, the less "whistle" you will here. Most everyone has the large KN filter mounted under the hood just feet from the turbo. These will have more "whistle".

My 63 will start to whisle very loud even at moderate gas and about 5 inches on vacuum. In boost its so loud everyone around hears it and this is still with the exhaust dump closed.

My TE 52 howled like a monkey. It was loud, no boost needed. I could goose it in park, zzzzeeenn. It annoyed people, and was great. The best sound in the world. More than made up for the six banger noise. Actually it whisled louder 5 PSI and lower under a slight load. Any more PSI and it was the more like an air rushing turbulence noise.:D

Now in comparison, I JUST installed a CPT 65, .82 A/R exhaaust housing. WAY quieter. It's very subdued.
I really really miss the whistle of my 52, but I really really love how much more power this thing seems to have over my 52 at the same boost.

as far as intake & filter location ive had it everywhere & it all sounded the same..the guys I heard was idling & whistling good..sounded awesome..where mine makes no noise at all idleing but when I get into it about 5lbs I can hear it pretty good..seems like it louder now than whn new also...I wondering about whistle at idle..is that just one bigazz turbo to do that or just a certain combo of intake & exhaust wheels?
Thanks,Brian

usually the smaller turbos make more noise. It is the turbo making the noise, not the air box. If you hold a turbine wheel, by the shaft, in your hand, and hit the blades with air from an air hose causing the wheel to spin, it will make the whistle noise in your hand. The faster you spin it, the louder and more high pitched it will get. Can't do it for too long or it burns a hole in your glove from spinning or if your not holding it tight enough, it becomes air born, then GOD help you. Children do not try this at home.

If you wanna really loud whistle from your turbo.....do this.... Either run just a downpipe with no exhaust, or a cut out (open). The engine will be louder too due to no muffler but that turbo will whistle louder than a dozen birds on a bright spring morning.:D I ran mine with just a downpipe for over a year and people a block ahead of me would turn around to see what was coming. At 10" vacuum it was louder than it is now at 5 psi with my exhaust on.

Jackson-

If you want a louder whistle sound, come by the shop and I can have Derek, weld some whistle tips on your tailpipes for you! :D LMAO! :D

WOOWOOOOOOOOO! :p

I heard of some guy on here spacing out his cutout plate with washers. So I put a washer behind the plate for fun, and it was, but only for a weekend. Quiet enough to stay out of trouble i guess, but man did it whistle.

I'm just waiting for the day when someone accuses me of having something like a whistle tip just so my car will sound cool.

Originally posted by Geoff87
Jackson-

If you want a louder whistle sound, come by the shop and I can have Derek, weld some whistle tips on your tailpipes for you! :D LMAO! :D
:eek: :D

I just crack open my electric cutout a bit and the whistle rivals an 18 wheeler. Love it! Wide open sounds like a jet taking off.

my te-44 whistles REALLY loud...i loved how the stocker whistles...it makes a high pitched whine sound while the te-44 makes a loud hissssssssss sound....when i am cruising and i see people watching me drive by i push on the gas a little bit to let them hear the turbo whistle...this is through a 3" downpipe and full hooker exhaust with gutted cat and aerochamber mufflers...now when i open the exhaust up...man does it sound like a 747 taking off!:D

Originally posted by d0n_3d
my te-44 whistles REALLY loud...i loved how the stocker whistles...it makes a high pitched whine sound while the te-44 makes a loud hissssssssss sound....when i am cruising and i see people watching me drive by i push on the gas a little bit to let them hear the turbo whistle...this is through a 3" downpipe and full hooker exhaust with gutted cat and aerochamber mufflers...now when i open the exhaust up...man does it sound like a 747 taking off!:D

I laughed when I read this...
Whenever somebody stares my car down, I make it a point
to give them an earful of my whistle:D
The sound just says "yep, it's fast"...
I love the sound of my stock turbo too, especially after installing
the 3" down pipe, it makes plenty of noise now.

I wondering about whistle at idle..is that just one bigazz turbo to do that or just a certain combo of intake & exhaust wheels?

ive got a te44 with a .80 a/r percision exhaust houseing with a 2.5 inch stock dp and stock intake that will whisle at idle when i have the pipes open:D

last saturday i was at fast freddys with some friends of mine and a newer rx7 parked beside of the gns, for 3 hours stright all he did was rev it and pop the bov. should have seen his face when i opened her up:D :eek: :D

no exhaust + te44 + dump next to window = make rice boy jump:p