Turbo whine?

84T-typeMike

Yes I am Crazy
OK,Here's the deal.I bought a New core for my stock turbo.When I assembled it everything went together smoothly.Upon start-up,I get this louder whine till it has warmed up completely.After it is hot it still whistles but not nearly as loud.My guess is the fins are rubbing the housing.After it is hot the sound goes away.I pretty much let car warm up a few minutes before heading out and wait till it is hot to get on it.BUT I am wondering if this might cause early failure.Last one I got new lasted approx. 2,000-3,000 miles before blowing oil.Am I doomed for a re-peat?:confused:

When you say "new core" do you mean the center section between the inlet and outlet bells?:confused:

Sorry,I meant I re-placed the center section.It comes balanced,ready to go.Just put your original housings back on,careful to keep new rubber o-ring in place,snug the 10mm bolts just enough to be able to re-clock the housings on mock-up,remove turbo and tighten all bolts evenly,then install turbo.That is pretty much how I did it.Seem right?Only problem is upon start up,I can hear the turbo make a sound which sounds like to me the fins are barely rubbing compressor side.It is a much louder whine.After it gets hot the sound leaves and then you can only hear a whistle which kind of like sounds like a cop siren going higher until I let off a bit then the siren winds down.See,My last New center made same noise for a couple months then it quit.3,000 miles later it started blowing oil into intake side.I said CRAP,I need another turbo.Upon removing the turbo and inspecting it there was NO indication it had rubbed.Even a guy very familiar with turbos said he didn't see anywhere it had rubbed.1 more thing,When I put the 2nd new turbo together,I looked at the clearance between compressor wheel and housing,Pulling it side to side while spinning it and It had just like .002"-.005" clearance according to my EYEchrometer!Thats everything! Anybody think it will fail early?I am wary of it!