Fuel pump whine

Rosey1968

After a long drive today I was in my driveway putting the t-tops back on and noticed a whine coming from the rear or the car... I did a search on the board and now assume this is the fuel pump. I started the car again and it was not as loud but it was still a noticeable whine coming from the gas tank area. This would kind of make some sense as when I was driving it earlier this week it did not seem to have as much get up when I got into the boost. I actually thought it was my alky acting up. Later in my drive it was fine, today it was fine except for the noise. For the record, it is kind of hot in KS, in the mid 90's. Car ran fine otherwise, coolant never got to 180.

I have only owned my car a year so this will be my first experience with the fuel system. The documentation I have with the car says the fuel pump was replaced in April of 2012. It is a Walbro 255 and it say it has a Racetronic "fuel sending unit". I am assuming they mean a Racetronic "hotwire kit" as that it what the attached appears to be.
IMG_0225.jpg

The fuel gauge also does snot work well... when full the guage shows 3/4 full... when it reads a 1/4 tank the it is about 40% full. I have never let it get below that so not sure where empty is.

My questions assuming I do have a hot wire kit:
1) What is the best fuel pump to go with?
2) should I get a new fuel sending unit or are they at all reparable?
3) Should I replace the hot wire relay while I am at it?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 178
Hotwire kit is probably fine. If the sending unit is for a digital dash and not analog, then the fuel gauge will be wrong like you stated. You can wire up a digital fuel gauge or just fill up before 1/4 of a tank.

I've used walbro, Aeromotive and Deatchwerks pumps.

Deatchwerks gets my vote.

It sounds like time for a new fuel pump.
Racetronix did sell a Stainless Steel fuel pump hanger/ sending unit separately at one time, then only with a fuel pump included.
It's quite possible that you do have a racetronix unit with a walbro pump.

The racetronix sending unit came standard with an analog resistor.
A digital dash resistor was available separately and could be swapped, but it would only fit the racetronix unit. It won't fit a stock fuel pump hanger/ sending unit.

I bought for my digi dash car, swapped to the digi dash resistor.
I still have the new/ removed analog resistor if you would like it.
Verify that you have a racetronix fuel pump hanger/ sending unit and I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping if you like.

The resistor should look like this.

IMG_4655.JPG

IMG_4656.JPG

You can PM me if interested.

Cheers,
George

Does the car have the tank vent open? If the charcoal canister is gone, and the line plugged, the tank is no longer vented.
What is the voltage to the pump?
Tank ground in place?
When was the last time the filter was changed?
Performance down.. Check the fuel pressure.
Things to check before throwing parts at it.

George,
Thanks for the offer and advice... I will get back to you if I go that route. I need to check some thing out this week...

Chuck,
Thanks for your suggestions... a few answers:
I need to check the voltage at the pump and check the fuel pressure... doing sometime this week.
Tank ground is good and in place.
Fuel filter was changed last summer. I did it after I bought the car.

When I bought my car the vapor canister was already gone and a K/N filter is in it place. They just left the open vent line. I did a search and am considering getting a small fuel filter and letting it vent at the tank/not in the engine compartment.

As soon as I can get some testing done I will post my results.

thanks for the advice.

I wouldn’t drive anywhere until I replaced the fuel pump. My stock pump started whining with 180K on it. From the time thewhine First started until it took a dump and I had to be towed was less than20 miles.