Turbo V6 Camaro

dezldave961

2004 Turbo Regal
Sounds like you're on the right track (pun intended)!

I scan my WBO2 and MAF values during boost (when in PE/OL). The average % diff I see from commanded A/F and WB A/F is applied to corresponding MAF values from the scan. My VE table is bone stock, even with a fairly lumpy cam. I may decide to tune that separately, once everything else is dialed-in on the new setup, just for giggles.

If you copied over most of the SC table values, and started there, it's fairly simple. (Intense popped a handful of engines with their tune's back in the day.) Most top-swap cars I tuned without a SC variant (ex. 2000-02 Impala's/Monte's) ran solid doing that. The MAP is content maxxing at 100 kPa, and just monitoring the MAF/O2 for normal operation, and it gets simpler to just the MAF in PE.

AFC is a must-have for skewing MAF table down, but if you start running into the 511 g/s limit, you can change the Injector Flow Rate lower to shift that, and re-tune 5-10% at a time.

Jon Early

Sounds like you're on the right track (pun intended)!

I scan my WBO2 and MAF values during boost (when in PE/OL). The average % diff I see from commanded A/F and WB A/F is applied to corresponding MAF values from the scan. My VE table is bone stock, even with a fairly lumpy cam. I may decide to tune that separately, once everything else is dialed-in on the new setup, just for giggles.

If you copied over most of the SC table values, and started there, it's fairly simple. (Intense popped a handful of engines with their tune's back in the day.) Most top-swap cars I tuned without a SC variant (ex. 2000-02 Impala's/Monte's) ran solid doing that. The MAP is content maxxing at 100 kPa, and just monitoring the MAF/O2 for normal operation, and it gets simpler to just the MAF in PE.

AFC is a must-have for skewing MAF table down, but if you start running into the 511 g/s limit, you can change the Injector Flow Rate lower to shift that, and re-tune 5-10% at a time.
How are you going about logging only your PE % diff? That seems kinda similar to what I was trying to do except for zeroing out a bunch of tables to force the ECM into a state where it only really looks at the TPS and MAF. I think the idea was that other variables would throw the error off? Regardless,I didn't like that. lol It didn't seem to be doing what it was supposed to anyway.

dezldave961

2004 Turbo Regal
I use a spreadsheet a buddy made that uses a lookup list for each segment of the MAF chart, and lays out the scan data to deal with.

Columns:
(from scan) Cmd A/F... WB A/F... MAF hz...
(calc) A/F % diff... avg for MAF chart 125hz increments...
(from tune) orig MAF Table
(calc) new MAF w/ % change applied
(optional) manual adjustment to new MAF table

and a chart to see original & new, so you can make sure it is smooth

Jon Early

I slightly underestimated how poorly I wired the old wideband. I didn't need to cut any wires, but it was still a big enough pain to undo that I'm going to add another connector to the mix just in case I ever need to do this again! That being said, I did not finish the install last night. I was too tired and impatient to be wiring.

Here's some earlier progress though. The new gauge is super slim and therefore couldn't be mounted in my deep custom pods. Good thing I have a box of scrap metal.
New WB02 1.jpg

New WB02 2.jpg

New WB02 3.jpg

New WB02 4.jpg
New WB02 5.jpg

New WB02 6.jpg

New WB02 7.jpg

Now I'm bothered by the terribly mis-matched gauges. lol I chose the new WB02 strategically though. There's a matching boost controller I'll buy some day to replace the Autometer. For now I'm just going to keep the stuff that works!

Jon Early

I think that the AEM X-series boost controller is going to look really cool in place of the Autometer gauge, but I'm a bit too cheap to throw that much money down on something that the car doesn't absolutely need right now. Hence, still having stock wheels with cheap tires! The manual boost controller and gauge work just fine for now. I think a better use of my time and money would be tying a fuel pressure sensor into the scan gauge, and installing a Pro 5.0 shifter, and then probably a 2-step. I want to bang shift this car really bad, but I really need some shifter stops at the very least.
New wideband.jpg

Jon Early

Paint the bezel black and forget about it for a while.
Looks good to me.
Haha to be honest, I'm not that motivated. I'm really happy that I don't need to be in the dash again for a while.

I can't remember if this was mentioned before, but my maf is maxing out pretty early. I can only rev the car up to about 4k at wot before needing to shift due to leaning out.
1590339435167.png

11,500 hz is the max frequency that my stock ECM is able to read, so I'm going to toss in an AFC with the dip switches set to 80% output. Then I will multiply my MAF chart by 1.953. At least I think that's right! I'm just following ZZP's instructions.
1590339484369.png

dezldave961

2004 Turbo Regal
They have some wacky calculation recommended (odd that it says double the values), but as long as the 20% you're skewing is added to the table to start, careful tuning will help you get it there. Not a direct swap, but AFC is absolutely necessary for any 3800 MAF making decent power.

(I built a simple 100mm/4in MAF tube for a stock sensor on my s/c setup to have similar room, and it works... until you start hitting 511 g/s in the table, anyway. You'll see this as well, when the upper range of your table maxxes out. Then, you'll have to trick the tune by skewing your injector flow rate lower, and retuning the MAF again.... That table runs these tunes, but at least it's one-stop-shopping for adjustments, kinda like carb jetting.)

Jon Early

They have some wacky calculation recommended (odd that it says double the values), but as long as the 20% you're skewing is added to the table to start, careful tuning will help you get it there. Not a direct swap, but AFC is absolutely necessary for any 3800 MAF making decent power.

(I built a simple 100mm/4in MAF tube for a stock sensor on my s/c setup to have similar room, and it works... until you start hitting 511 g/s in the table, anyway. You'll see this as well, when the upper range of your table maxxes out. Then, you'll have to trick the tune by skewing your injector flow rate lower, and retuning the MAF again.... That table runs these tunes, but at least it's one-stop-shopping for adjustments, kinda like carb jetting.)
Yeah, the calculation doesn't make sense to me either. If I'm lowering the frequency by 20% wouldn't I just up my airflow by the same amount? I'm not sure what I'm missing here.