TURBO TOO BIG? Slow/no boost

Admittedly I didn't read every single post in this thread, but I recently had this exact same issue. It's a long shot based off of what you have mentioned up until this point, but my issue was that the studs that bound my heads and turbine together had loosened and backed out causing a giant leak. I would go into boost and the car felt like it was treading water. Like I said, it's a long shot, but who knows? it happened to me.

Thanks dude. You think it will be ok to just plop my 43s in there for now and adjust my fuel pressure accordingly and find me another ta49 to plop in there when the funds are available And then reburn chip (its from turbo tweak so it wont be to hatefull cost wise)

Admittedly I didn't read every single post in this thread, but I recently had this exact same issue. It's a long shot based off of what you have mentioned up until this point, but my issue was that the studs that bound my heads and turbine together had loosened and backed out causing a giant leak. I would go into boost and the car felt like it was treading water. Like I said, it's a long shot, but who knows? it happened to me.
Its def worth a peak. Now when u say heads and turbine what do u mean?

I know im the biggest pain right now. But i talked to my turbo guy who i use for my customers. Since my TA49 is scored on the compressor housing he would have to replace and upgrade it. I should still be ok correct? By upgrade i think he means port it out etc etc

If the wheels and shaft balance and it gets new bearings I can't see why it wouldn't work. Will it be optimal, no, but it will spin and make boost. I can imagine every truck going down the road has its turbo at its peak, but they go a lot of miles making boost when needed.

Again as above, you could keep the turbo you have, check the fasteners as suggested and look into a new torque converter. I like my 2800 or so stall and I'm running a stock turbo at present. I can't see upgrading anything until I can make what I have run well. One change at a time and test.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm so what would he a good uograde from the ta49? I guess this is where bison comes into play. Havent heard much back yet

He is a busy guy. Full Throttle sells some of the new stuff. Ball bearing will spool faster/easier. If you have deep pockets there is a lot out there. I'm just goofing around with used "cool guy" parts. But thinking you cam just bolt some stuff on and let her fly, rarely works out. When you get somethkng worked out it has a tendency to uncover another weakness. Once you start making good power you will need traction then the trans will need reworked. It is a spiral and it picks up speed the faster you want to go.
"Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go." I don't know who said it first but it is as true now as any time in history.

He is a busy guy. Full Throttle sells some of the new stuff. Ball bearing will spool faster/easier. If you have deep pockets there is a lot out there. I'm just goofing around with used "cool guy" parts. But thinking you cam just bolt some stuff on and let her fly, rarely works out. When you get somethkng worked out it has a tendency to uncover another weakness. Once you start making good power you will need traction then the trans will need reworked. It is a spiral and it picks up speed the faster you want to go.
"Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go." I don't know who said it first but it is as true now as any time in history.

Thats why im trying to get itright now vs destroying everything else. I think im gonna go with the ported ta49 and stock injectors maybe a month or so off from now atleast i can still drive my 10 year build so long as i taker easy. Unless bison sais otherwise and im in no rush to hear back. I understand how busy ppl and businesses can be even when it slow. But hopefully fall time....ta49 and some boot scootin gn rubber layin awesomeness

Stay under 15# with the stock injectors until your combo is sorted out.

About the same, ta series is stock appearing, te is not.

Very little difference until you run it out.
No need for a ball bearing in a 58mm
Garrett housing will help spool a bit.

The way its looking i guess im looking for something in the mid 50S size wise. I dont necessarily want stock because i can push more than that but i dont want something too big and given the fact that its lookin like i got screwed on my converter it seems like im kinda limited to my options

Just out of curiosity, did you have a powerlogger file of this slow spool up? Off topic, I recently installed a te60 in place of my stock turbo. I still had the 5.7 TT chip burned for stock turbo and no alky. I added alky, used the chip with great success. I then added the te-60 and just left the chip at default settings (128 across the board). My first time after installing the turbo, I could not get the turbo to spool up at all. As a matter of fact, it took all of first gear to get it to spool, even the alky light wouldn't switch red to green till near the end of first. That's how bad it was. Looking at my afr it ws pegged at 10.0 flat. I took a ton of fuel out and to my surprise, it spooled fast and not much slower than the stock turbo. I actually ran the te60 with alky on a 5.7 chip burned for stock turbo and no alky. Just messed with fueling till I got proper afr. I'm now running a 6.1 chip. But just figured I throw my experience out there to see if it helps you or anyone else.

I precitate the input. my AFRs are good, everything all within spec Im going to get a rebuilt TA49 from bison once I get my some funds figured out.

The way its looking i guess im looking for something in the mid 50S size wise. I dont necessarily want stock because i can push more than that but i dont want something too big and given the fact that its lookin like i got screwed on my converter it seems like im kinda limited to my options
Why not keep the turbo, upgrade injectors and converter?

I can do that later down the road. But i think this turbo i have is just junk. Ebay got me good on this one 10 years ago. So it seems more cost effective to just get a good ta49 for now

I hope it is in good shape.