Turbo surge noise

V8turboGMC

Whats the technical name for that noise? When your in boost and you let off the throttle and it makes that funny noise? I know it can usually be cured by a BOV. From what I know when your in boost and you snap the throttle shut all the pressure builts up and makes the tubo make a weird noise. Anyway whats the technical name for it?
Thanks!

I've called it Turbo Shutter but not sure what the real term for it is. Your right all the air that was flowing happily into the throttle blade gets shut off and has to stop causing it to try and stop the turbine impeller and force air back out.
Not a good thing for the turbo at all but it sure sounds neat!
~Scott

Yup. "Compressor Surge" is the technical name for it, and one of the most common terms is "boost flutter".

The only way to reduce this is to ease off the throttle, instead of just letting right off. I've been practicing with this every now and then after quick blasts. Now of course if you're "passing" someone, and someone else pulls out in front of you, you cant really ease off anything. But its good to practice whenever you can, to go easy on the turbo.