turbo rivs anyone

blueta

Well I had someone email me with an 85 turbo rivera. I never looked into these much. Anyone have any specs on them? From what I remember it's basically the same as a hot air GN or T, but a little bigger exhaust side of the turbo? What do they typically run in the 1/4 compared to the regals? Since it looks pretty much the same mechanically I know that stuff is readily available, but how about exhaust, like headers and downpipe? He told me to make an offer on this car but I have no idea what they are worth so any help there too would be great. Here's some pics of the car. Turbo Rivera

There are a couple of us posting here. They can be made to go fast but as far as the Riv exclusive parts forget about it. Thats not a bad car there. I would be concerned about hidden rust spots after looking at the rusty deck lid. It looks like everything but the paint is original. I didn't see a clear picture of the engine but if the wastegate actuator arm is a solid one piece rod than it has the original turbo on it. The replacements have an adjustable actuator. They only other drawback is the 85 came with the 3.15 final drive instead of the 82-84's more desirable 3.36. BTW I know where there is one for sale if you need it. They are more than capable of doing the 1/4 in 13 seconds with just the minor recipe. I've done high 13's with the usuall K&N,chip and fuel pump mods. You car is what I would call a low to middle optioned car with the only major option being the Delco/Bose stereo. One of my 84's with the same equipment weighed around 3800 pounds with me(150) and 5 gallons of fuel in the tank. I just picked up another 85 Riv T-Type last month and its got everything but the astroroof, and I plan on getting this car deep into the 12's without an intercooler. Which by the way leads me to mention that if you do buy this car make sure you have some scan equipment. Because they are heavy they are real susceptable to breaking parts and blowing head gaskets if the tune isn't spot on. The stock exhaust is pretty good which is a good thing because there is no aftermarket for it. I ran a gutted cat with a homemade 2.5" system using off the rack parts from a diesel Riviera. It would spool like crazy. The down side is this car has the same dinky brakes as the Regal. Any more questions feel free to post them here.

were there alot of Turbo Rivs made? And is there any outward sign if they are a turbo, like badging? Reason I ask is that there is a riv that looks like that in my hometown that appears to be in good shape (from across the street), wondering if that's what it is.

Well I got some more info from him:

Had a replacement stock turbo, put in, as well as new gas
tank, sending unit, electronic climate relays and sensors, etc just
before I bought the car. Trans shifts fine, mileage on the car is I
want to say in the 140 range, primarily highway miles as the car was
owned by a military officer and often was towed to his new stations
all across the US. Price is literally open to offers, I was looking
somewhere around the $900 mark just because of the engine and all the
new parts as well as the rare stuff that could be parted out from the
car like auto dim mirror digital dash stuff etc, but again, I'm open
ended on that.

Seems pretty cheap. I found an auto shipper that would get it to me for $422 making it a total of $1,322. Like he said he's open to offers so maybe I could offer like $700 or something like that for it. Where is the one you know about for sale at? Would be awesome if it was near me to save on shipping and get a better car for the $$? I also have an otc85 monitor from my 84 t type that I actually saved so I would assume I could use that.

Do these have an 8.5" rear like the regals?

I'm pretty sure they are front wheel drive, which is strange since the engine is longitudinally mounted.

blueta said:
Do these have an 8.5" rear like the regals?

The differential itself is same type, ring and pinion, etc. , however has a 8.2" ring gear, none posi. The differential is bolted directly to the transmission, which is also the same design as regal with the difference of being split in two sections, the bellhousing, torque converter, and fourth gear looks standard, from there a chain drive is used to connect the torque converter to reverse and first 3 forward gears which are next to the converter on the driver side, this is all in one housing which makes the transmission "U" shaped, with the output facing towards front of car, there the differential is bolted directly to trans, and from there, axle shafts and cv joints are used like any other modern front wheel drive, actually is kind of like the set up used on Chevy S10 4x4's and does use some S10 parts.

There are about 1100 turbo Rivieras in 1985, and same amount for 1984, and they are becoming more scarce as we speak, in fact Brian Weavy is parting one out right now, 1984 T-Type Riv, which has the 3 .36 diff, I am buying several parts from him.

buickpower said:
were there alot of Turbo Rivs made? And is there any outward sign if they are a turbo, like badging? Reason I ask is that there is a riv that looks like that in my hometown that appears to be in good shape (from across the street), wondering if that's what it is.

Its easy telling a T-Type Riv from a NA version as far as the 1983 to 1985 model years go. Only the T-Types have the turbo V-6,just like the Regals.All of the T-Types have front amber turn signal lamps(under the headlamps) and alloy wheels. There also should be T-Type name plates on the sail panels and under the Riviera name plate on the trunk lid. They also have "turbocharged" nameplates on the front fenders under the Riviera name plates. Now you can tell the exact year assuming someone hasn't changed anything by looking at the grille and taillamps. I've posted a picture of one my 84's as a reference. The 84-85's grille is a series of skinny vertical bars evenly spaced much like the 87 Regal grille. The 83 used a staggered series of thick and thin bars and were painted a dark gray in the recesses on the T-Types. All years of turbo'd Rivs used a nameplate on the grille that said Riviera-Turbochaged with the turbo'd in red letters. NA Rivs just said Riviera by Buick in black letters. As far as taillamps go the 84-85 used a full flat faced lens surrounded by a chrome bezel with a center dividing horizontal bar like the 84-87 Regal and the 83 and older had a chrome ridge on the face that followed the perimeter of the lens. All Rivs have an oval shaped back up lamp in the center with the Riviera "R" on them. Now to tell a 84 from an 85 all you have to do is look at the mirrors. The 84 has body colored mirrors and the 85's are painted black. Chrome mirrors weren't available on T-Types.The only exception to these guidelines are the 84-85 turbo convertibles. They have the same alloy wheels but didn't come with the amber parking lamps or external name plates.

Edit, I guess my pic is a little to dark to show the details. BTW this is a NA car made to look like a T-Type. Notice the coach lights on the sail panel.

blueta said:
FWD huh...that's pretty nuts! Never knew that.

The basic FWD design layout goes back to the 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado, later used also by the Cadillac Eldorado, and by 1979 the Riviera. Pre 1979 Eldorados and Toronados could be had with 500 and 455 CID motors.

Well I think I'm gonna pass on this deal. I was really just looking for the engine (wanna swap it into some g body like an elky or cutlass, even a regal if I find one). Nothing against rivs, just didn't want to spend this much right now. So if anyone is interested in this let me know and I'll give you the email addy. I am glad I asked about these though...learned some new things :cool:

Can you email me the name and # or email address of the person selling it? Thanks.
Might like to get something to compete on FWD days.

Pronto said:
Can you email me the name and # or email address of the person selling it? Thanks.
Might like to get something to compete on FWD days.

An excellent idea. I used to beat up on the ricers and an ocassional Impala SS. Those guys cant stand being beat by a Buick either. It would be a crime to part that car out, seeing as it is clean and all of the parts are there. The price is right if you snag it for under $900 too. Here are two examples of what they are worth and why that car is a bargain.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=4608361129&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=8027783687&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I had a beautiful Riv T-type. White, burg. int. Looked brand new. It was destroyed in a wreck last summer. They sell for big bucks in the riviera owners association. Around 43 turbo convertibles were made.