Turbo redesign for a carb turbo system

Well I finally got the top cut on the inducer housing. Not perfect but it will save me some money when I take it to the machine shop. I'll be plugging the holes with aluminum studs but I have to make them unless someone can tell me where I can buy some aluminum bolts in metric thread. The first pic is from the adapter side, the second is from the intake mount so you can see the height comparison, and the third is what I had to cut off. I dulled a blade and had to get another one. Never would have thought it would have been such a pain but it was. Sorry for taking so long.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 585
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 589
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 603
Thanks AJ. I guess Rich is staying out of this one. I still need the waste gate housing if you're willing to get rid of it.

You could have installed a DIY alcohol injection system on or a blow-turbo turbo off a 86/87 by now. ;)

You could have installed a DIY alcohol injection system on or a blow-turbo turbo off a 86/87 by now. ;)

I had planned to get this done in less than a month Rich, but we've been cutting back at work so the extra money isn't there right now.:eek: Since I don't have the extra cash I have to make due with what I have now. I could update to electronic but I'd rather be able to offer a different option for what we have and maybe it will be made a sticky so anyone find it and have a different option than go SFI. These cars can make power and hopefully it will make more power with less issues the the factory set up and still look stock. And thanks for the plug Aj.

I had planned to get this done in less than a month Rich, but we've been cutting back at work so the extra money isn't there right now.:eek: Since I don't have the extra cash I have to make due with what I have now. I could update to electronic but I'd rather be able to offer a different option for what we have and maybe it will be made a sticky so anyone find it and have a different option than go SFI. These cars can make power and hopefully it will make more power with less issues the the factory set up and still look stock. And thanks for the plug Aj.

LOL!

I would say its fairly well proven that a SFI/EFI blah blah will go 10s

I dont know if its proven, but I imagine a blowthru carbed v6 would go 10s as well

When was the last time you saw a 10 sec drawthru setup particularly on a buick v6?

i dont know of any........ somebody has said its been done......... prove it then!!!!!!!! gimme pics, have an honest adding up story, or even the persons phone number!

I dont know about you Mr Charlie, but I want to be able to say that........... "10 sec carbed turbo"...........even if it is just for 15 minutes. I wont give up on the ol " carbonmixer"

LOL

:cool: A.j.

yea.......... its true.... I am a strange one.:rolleyes:

LOL Aj, chill out a little. I want a faster car that's unique. Everyone can go SFI but I agree, I want to do this with the factory set up (sort of LOL) so when someone wants to see what's under the hood and then says "you gotta be kidding" I can laugh as I blow by them.

LOL Aj, chill out a little. I want a faster car that's unique. Everyone can go SFI but I agree, I want to do this with the factory set up (sort of LOL) so when someone wants to see what's under the hood and then says "you gotta be kidding" I can laugh as I blow by them.

LOL, sorry tone is hard to pass on the net.... and I been up since 5am and drunk on coffee. I do get alittle wild..... my bad.

Anyways, yea i just wanted something different as well......... plus I always cheer for the underdog.

I see where ya going....

A.j.

Well it looks like I'm gonna get a little more time to work on it. The boss will be cutting more hours. THIS SUCKS!!!!

Well I finished cleaning up the housing finally.It is very square and done by hand so you can do it yourself if you want to. Draw fileing works wonders if you know what you're doing.:biggrin: Just takes some time because I have nothing to hold the housing still while working on it. The next pics are of the plenum adapter. I though about filling the holes in the turbo but after looking at it closely there's about 1/8" miss alignment in the holes between the turbo and the mount. One other thing I discovered is the the adapter is flanged out and the 301 is straight so I'll have to flair it out to match a little better. I took the piece that I cut off and positioned it so I could mark the adapter. Once marked I used a course round file to enlarge the top and bottom holes to match the cut section. Once you do that run 2 bolts into the plate from the adapter side to hold the plate in position. MAKE SURE YOU'RE CENTERED! I then ran an 8mmx1.25 pitch tap through the holes into the adapter so I would know how much to remove.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 558
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 553
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 561
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 559
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 546
A small update

Ok, here's the reason for using the parts I'm using. The first 2 are the maps for the 86-87 T3 turbos. The third is of the stock 83 turbo and the forth is 301 TTA turbo. As you can see from the maps the 83 is the looser as far as flow. The TTA turbo will flow about 10 lbs per minute more air at the 2.6 presure rate and the 86 is about the same. This allows for a much better compression with less heat and that means less detonation issues.

Attachments

• 86 turbo map TBO348.jpg
    86 turbo map TBO348.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 608
  • 466748-5_comp_map 86 Buick.jpg
    466748-5_comp_map 86 Buick.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 604
  • 466112-1_comp_map83 Buick.jpg
    466112-1_comp_map83 Buick.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 614
  • 465518-2_comp_map81 Pontiac.jpg
    465518-2_comp_map81 Pontiac.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 615
your not gona confuse me with your fancy turbo maps! when can i buy my new bad ass turbo? That is, I hope yor building one for me too.

If you're serious find an 86-87 core and then we can talk. I've got 1 more 301 turbo and I've been thinking of selling the whole set up on evilbay to get a little more cash for the project. This is a labor intensive job and it won't be cheap.

Great news!

A small update for everyone. I took the inducers to a local machine shop and he was intrigued with what I'm trying to do. He drew it up in cad and checked everything to make sure what he's getting into with the mods. He is going to make a fixture to hold the inducer housing so he can turn the adapter base down to the right height and bevel the inside to match the inlet from the adapter. Then move the mounting feet to the correct location. All this for less than $150 not including shipping. If any of you have gathered the parts to do the conversion PM me and I'll get the contact info to you so you can have it done. Since he's not a vendor I won't put his info on here, but this is GREAT news for us. The only thing you'll have to do now is fab a new down pipe, whether it's internal or external waste gate.

just when i thaught i was having a bad day... i read this, Good News, and 5 minutes later i get a call about a Free 301 turbo. guess its my lucky day. Ill be talking to you just as soon as i track down the rest of the puzzle pieces.

just when i thaught i was having a bad day... i read this, Good News, and 5 minutes later i get a call about a Free 301 turbo. guess its my lucky day. Ill be talking to you just as soon as i track down the rest of the puzzle pieces.

For now all you need is the inducer housing and wheel. Edco machine in Hillsboro, TX. is who I'm dealing with and John is a Hot rodder as well as a gun nut. Keep an eye on the for sale section for sure. BTW, what's your name. Add it to your sig, maybe?

For now all you need is the inducer housing and wheel. Edco machine in Hillsboro, TX. is who I'm dealing with and John is a Hot rodder as well as a gun nut. Keep an eye on the for sale section for sure. BTW, what's your name. Add it to your sig, maybe?

Please help me peice my puzzle peices toghether need more boost fast,What exactly do i need to get my puzzle peices in order...;) 301 turbo ect...right

Please help me peice my puzzle peices toghether need more boost fast,What exactly do i need to get my puzzle peices in order...;) 301 turbo ect...right

2 turbos are required Jim. The key is getting the inducer side off of the 301 turbo, wheel and housing. You can add these to your stock turbo for more boost but it has a REALY big exducer wheel and housing. To reduce the lag you need the exducer housing and wheel off an 86-87 turbo. At this point you need to decide whether you want internal or external wate gate. You should be able to use the stock 86-87 waste gate but you still need to make a down pipe. If you want to go external then you'll need the plate to put on the turbo and fab a complete down pipe. I'll give you more later on this.

i love it when things work out perfectly.

A.j.

Kinda Aj. Look at the new sig. Been a bad day after a good one.:mad:

:eek:WHAT!!!!!!!!:eek:

MY GOD.....

Charlie, this is really bad news...... you tell me what I can do to help if you need it.

consider it done.

:( A.j.