Turbo Rebuild - Shaft damage?

Sleeper-6

Last night I took my turbo apart to rebuild it as a precautionary measure before putting it on my new engine. Since a lot of metal went through it when I spun a rod bearing.

Glad I did, I found some stuff embedded in the turbo bearings. It appears that it also scratched the shaft. Most are very minor, but a few spots I can catch a fingernail in. Are turbo shafts and bearings like engine bearings in that the shafts can be machined and the bearing available oversize? Or is it safe to chuck it in a lathe and polish the journals with some fine paper (1000 grit +) and crocus cloth to remove any burrs? Can I send just the shaft out to be machined and buy the right size bearings?

Figured I would throw up a few pics of what I found.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 120
Id polish the scratched area and then measure and compare it to the good areas. If its more than a couple tenths id just scrap it.

I heard back from the rebuild shop. They can machine the shaft and supply me with over size bearings in the rebuild kit to take care of the problem. So with machine work, a re-balance, and full rebuild kit it comes to just under $300. So I'm going that route, should be good as new when I'm done for well less than half the price of replacing it with a new one.

My next move will be to step up to a 6765. That's not in the budget at the moment, but I think it will really sing on this motor.