Turbo question

Jackie grabos

I took off heat shield and found this hole in housing. Have not had shield off in a while, but guessing this should not be here? Turbo is Garrett te-60. Also when checking intake side there is small Ammt of shaft play. Am I correct in thinking there should be no shaft play?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
I took off heat shield and found this hole in housing. Have not had shield off in a while, but guessing this should not be here? Turbo is Garrett te-60. Also when checking intake side there is small Ammt of shaft play. Am I correct in thinking there should be no shaft play?
The hole is where the drilling stopped for one of the bolts that holds the elbow on and doesn't effect anything. There should be up/down play in the shaft since the journals and bearings are floating. The end play should be unnoticeable. If you can feel in/out play then there is thrust damage.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

thanks for the help. got to looking at it closer and gasket at turbo is leaking above o2 sensor and small leak on other side. guess this explains why car running like crap. had stock exhaust manifold put on car about a year ago. it looks like they reused the metal gasket and put some kind of sealer that is leaking. going to order new gasket from kirban. how hard is turbo to remove? probably will just take it in and be done with it.