Turbo Problem

rose1mr

Ok, I dont get this...maybe you guys can give me a hand!

There is this strange noise coming from the engine when I started her up the other day (87 GN w/20,000 miles) so I popped the hood and took a look. I removed the turbo shield and found the noise. There is a pipe (metal pipe) that runs from the bottom of the turbo down into the exhaust area of the car. This pipe has a like triangle shape end that fits with 2 bolts on either side. And there is a tiny space that is allowing air to get sucked in and it sounds almost like a hole in your muffler. I tried taking the bolts out and reseating them. No avail. I do not understand what the issue is...its almost like the pipe shrunk and its not long enough to make the connection to the bottom of the turbo.

Sorry if its explained wrong...its really difficult when you dont know the terminology.

I think you are talking about the downpipe.
Have you done any exhaust work?
Maybe the hanger for the cat has broken and is pulling the DP down? This strap helps hold the exhaust up.
How much of a gap?
I think ATR sells gaskets.

What he said, it sounds like the "donut" gasket. I had mine make noise after I removed the turbo exhaust housing once. I turned the gasket and reseated it with success, but I think I just got lucky. You may need to replace the gasket.

The car has had a hooker exhaust system installed on it. Now I did go to Buick and we saw a parts explosion on their computer for the part that I am talking about. I had to buy some kit from a company in Michigan cause GM discontinuted making it. There were new bolts and clamps, but no new gasket. The ring inside is smaller than the opening, which is why its making that sound.