turbo plenum porting?

Kinda on the topic of exhaust manifolds.

My cast set is heavy and ugly and it leaks at the passenger side crossover tube. Fabrication isnt a big deal for me so I was thinking of taking a set of 86/87 headers and cut the passenger header at the #4 cylinder and build a new pipe going up instead of to the front like stock. I mean they are proven into the 10's. Do they flow better than the 84/85 enough that it would make a difference for a C/T setup?

thats the setup im running now. except I didnt make any mods to the 86/87 set.

you will absolutly need the smaller turbine or your stock turbo will fall flat on its face. the 84/85 is the better option for a stock turbine.

A.j.

I am going to use my 85 turbo, piping, headers and heads on my 78 setup:biggrin: Should spool quicker than the B4B one... should kill some of the lag:biggrin:

I am going to use my 85 turbo, piping, headers and heads on my 78 setup:biggrin: Should spool quicker than the B4B one... should kill some of the lag:biggrin:

it absolutly will increase spool. switching to just the 84/85 turbine is an excellent move. thats how mine was setup until what.... last month when I decided to tear the truck completly apart? LOL

on the 84/85 turbine, swapping the backing plate is all thatsneeded to fit the carb turbo housing on... I do offer a TA33 upgrade to the car turbo if you are interested.

A.j.

it absolutly will increase spool. switching to just the 84/85 turbine is an excellent move. thats how mine was setup until what.... last month when I decided to tear the truck completly apart? LOL

on the 84/85 turbine, swapping the backing plate is all thatsneeded to fit the carb turbo housing on... I do offer a TA33 upgrade to the car turbo if you are interested.

A.j.

I might hit you up for that down the road here. I have to get the new motor first and find some help to swap it... all comes down to $$$ and I don`t have much:(

Sorry for the hijack Mike:biggrin: Just thought you would like to know how I am doing mine for ideas.

I might hit you up for that down the road here. I have to get the new motor first and find some help to swap it... all comes down to $$$ and I don`t have much

Sorry for the hijack Mike Just thought you would like to know how I am doing mine for ideas.

so your doing the 84/85 setup after all. your not going to do the tbi set up on the draw thru turbo motor.:frown: Are you still putting the v8 tpi motor in for the time being?

so your doing the 84/85 setup after all. your not going to do the tbi set up on the draw thru turbo motor.:frown: Are you still putting the v8 tpi motor in for the time being?

No... I`m still doing the draw-thrw tbi with some 85 parts, heads, headers, turbo, piping... off the 85 motor I have, should make it run much better than the stock 78 turbo...

No... I`m still doing the draw-thrw tbi with some 85 parts, heads, headers, turbo, piping... off the 85 motor I have, should make it run much better than the stock 78 turbo...

ok i see

how are you going to do that i think the turbo from the 85 wont work on a draw-thru motor. you have to use the 78 turbo for the tbi. tbi stands for throttle body injection. i will post a tbi set up. ask charlie about this the head on the 78 are different than the 85; one is a tall port one is a short port.

Attachments

• !BkPm32!!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKkYEsmmLlje4BLWymPW,Mw~~_3.jpg
    !BkPm32!!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKkYEsmmLlje4BLWymPW,Mw~~_3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 122
flapper

The turbo will bolt up without any issues.

As far as the flapper in the manifold, my bad. It's supposed to heat up the manifold faster by making the exhaust go through the intake to the other side instead of the exhaust directly. Cut the flapper off and forget it. They suck big time and can cause det issues if everything isn't working right.

agree with Carlie cut mine out it even worked thougt it would mess up later so it got cut. Mike

ok i see

how are you going to do that i think the turbo from the 85 wont work on a draw-thru motor. you have to use the 78 turbo for the tbi. tbi stands for throttle body injection. i will post a tbi set up. ask charlie about this the head on the 78 are different than the 85; one is a tall port one is a short port.

It should work fine... you just switch the cool air side of the turbo housings and it bolts right on. Charlie said it will work and A.J. said he did the same thing. They are identical, other than the obvious. I already hooked it up, just need the new motor to bolt it on:biggrin: Ill post some pics Monday and show how I did it... its really easy to do. I still have to find a TBI setup too... anyone have one?

A.j.

A.j. how much for the TA33 upgrade Im interested? will it bolt on my 79 with out major mods? Mike

Flapper in the manifold? In the exhaust or intake manifold? Wastegate flapper?... Idk wtf you guys are talking about now:biggrin:

It should work fine... you just switch the cool air side of the turbo housings and it bolts right on. Charlie said it will work and A.J. said he did the same thing. They are identical, other than the obvious. I already hooked it up, just need the new motor to bolt it on Ill post some pics Monday and show how I did it... its really easy to do. I still have to find a TBI setup too... anyone have one?
Today 07:09 PM

i didnt know you could do that. if you could post pics i really want to see this. do you use the 85 blades in the draw-thru housing or do you have to change the intake blades?

i didnt know you could do that. if you could post pics i really want to see this. do you use the 85 blades in the draw-thru housing or do you have to change the intake blades?

Same blades... I just took them off and cleaned & oiled them and it fits fine.

LOL Matt, you really need to look at the whole turbo thread again. The parts will bolt on without any problems.:biggrin: If you get an 84-87 hot side and take the cold side off, the Carb cold side will bolt on without any problem. The 86-87 is the best design but the 84-85 isn't far behind compaired to the stock V6 carb unit. If you're willing to have the the cold side redone for the bigger wheel then you can, but the 301 turbo is the best upgrade for the cars.

LOL Matt, you really need to look at the whole turbo thread again. The parts will bolt on without any problems. If you get an 84-87 hot side and take the cold side off, the Carb cold side will bolt on without any problem. The 86-87 is the best design but the 84-85 isn't far behind compaired to the stock V6 carb unit. If you're willing to have the the cold side redone for the bigger wheel then you can, but the 301 turbo is the best upgrade for the cars.

i guess i have to read the whole post. i am going to do the 301 im just waiting on aj for the blades.

Read it from front to back Matt. Knowledge is your friend after all. You can fix ignorance but there's no cure for stupid.