Turbo placed at the end of the exhaust system?

6banger

Slower Traffic Keep Right
I caught the very end of what I think was "Two Guys Garage", they put a trubo on a late model Camaro. It was placed at the very end of the exhaust where the muffler was (running parallel to the rear end) just ahead of the tail pipe. On a chassis dyno it added 140 HP and 159 lb./ft of torque or something like that, both were up around 400 before tuning. They had to run an oil line back to the turbo and a scavenge pump to return the oil to the pan. They said the exhaust was cooler and more efficient having it so far back. Again, I only saw the end, and I believe the lack of room in the engine compartment contributed to the placement. I`m not sure if they still used a muffler or the turbo did the work.
I was wondering if anyone else ever heard of these kits and who makes them. Everything that I saw was either plated or stainless.

TIA,
Jim

Check out the thread in the lounge titled "9sec GTO"

IMO, they are nice sleeper kits. You look in the engine compartment and see no turbo, supercharger, or nitrous lines. Just an intake pipe going somewhere unknown. :)

yea,i seen that kit. it was on late model camaro in an add or product review page in h.p.p,actually the idea is good but too me the response time for the cooled air to get to the engine takes too long. and also its in the stock location where the muffler goes,if someone hits u or scrape the pavement with that its over. to me better suited for the track than street.

STS Trubos are kind of the pioneers of these systems. There is no muffler used on the f-bodies. They use no IC because the boost pressures are usualy in the 6-7 psi range for a stock motor, and the distance from turbo to intake is so long the air temps drop considerably after traveling that far.
There has been a ton of debates about the system and how well it works on the f-body forums. Main concern has been road debris getting on the turbo intake filter and water. I too question that even with the "sock" they put on the filter, I think should debris/water shields could easily be fabricated to protect it though.
They say the displacement on the intake piping is no greater than a FMIC so there should be no more lag than a FMIC...
Overall looks to be a very easy way to turbo charge any thing.
I may try one on my 95 TA someday.

there has too be pressure drops,cause its traveling a good distance( sounds like im at work with refrigeration talks) anyone have this i actually want to hear bout it. i first saw it and bugged out

also forgot too mention,if anyone has the sense of what a turbo is i would love too see the persons face when he see's the ass end of the car its on and just stare like w.t.f is that doing there

Originally posted by boostedgm
there has too be pressure drops,cause its traveling a good distance( sounds like im at work with refrigeration talks) anyone have this i actually want to hear bout it. i first saw it and bugged out
As I mentioned above, the area displacement in the intake tube from the the rear of the car to the intake is no greater than the displacement of the tubing and the IC included for a Front Mount IC. Therefore there should be no more pressure drop than if using a FMIC.
And we're only talking very low boost pressures, under 10psi so that should be very easy to overcome which a V8 pushing a tiny little turbo.

If im not mistaken, I believe they are called squires turbo or something like that.

how does the stock ecu handle this

Could you fab up your own kit using your stock turbo you up grade from. Can you just throw a turbo on and fuel injected car? I thought you need the timing curve and boost,fuel rate?

Re: how does the stock ecu handle this

Originally posted by RJR
Could you fab up your own kit using your stock turbo you up grade from. Can you just throw a turbo on and fuel injected car? I thought you need the timing curve and boost,fuel rate?
Depends on how much boost you're planning to run. If you don't max the MAF out, then just some ECM recalibrations will do the trick with fueling and timing changes. I saw a post where a guy on the 3rdgen f-body board made one and put it on his daily driver Cavilier in about a day, and made it run in the 14's...