Turbo Internet

I saw that earlier today. Pretty impressive stuff, makes my dsl look worse than dial up lol. I terminate fiber from time to time, dont fully understand it though. I mean how do you modulate light?

Originally posted by striker_29
Ihow do you modulate light?

I think I read someplace that light is controlled by use sound waves through some kind of modulator.

Yea the next wave of NEAT stuff will be coming in a couple of years.. BUY networking & optic stocks

fiber optics use a kevlar reenforced cable with a plastic or glass core, free of impurities. the signal is modulated one of 2 ways, either by the use of a light emitting diode, which is for shorter runs, or by way of injection laser diode, which employs the use of a laser. the actual light is modulated by flashing the led or laser, creating the code that computers use to communicate. there are 2 different modes of fiber, thats multimode and single mode. multimode uses a cable of larger diameter, and uses refraction, in that the light bounces off the cladding, and this is useful with multiplexing because different bandwidths can be used inside the same cable. single mode is much smaller in diameter, and uses a laser. the bandwith results to be much faster because the light is not losing any time in refraction, it travels straight down the cable.

I just graduated DeVry College of Technology last week:D

So the laser actually "converts" it to binary in a sense. That makes sense, I have never taken the time to really do my homework on the inner workings of fiber optics, as I dont do it that much. Your explanation makes perfect sense though, thanks.