Turbo Disassembly Question

pretty close to complete turbo. Would the cartridge internals have 360 deg thrust bearing and dynamic seal for compressor plate? TA49 size wheels?
360 thrust and dynamic seal which uses a different backing plate than stock. A true TA49 uses a stock backing plate which uses a carbon seal and is 100% stock appearing when bolted on the car. The turbine is a T31 high flow and the compressor is a to4e 60 trim.

360 thrust and dynamic seal which uses a different backing plate than stock. A true TA49 uses a stock backing plate which uses a carbon seal and is 100% stock appearing when bolted on the car. The turbine is a T31 high flow and the compressor is a to4e 60 trim.

I don't know how to ID the parts that i have to make sure my exhaust and compressor housings will match with the replacement cartridge you offer. are there some measurements or ID features i can check to ensure part compatibility before sale?

TA49 Comp housing.jpgTA49 Ex housing.jpgTA49 compressor plate.jpg

if you buy the new cartridge from Bison, i might be interested in buying your stock turbine wheel/shaft. Let me know. Thanks

if you buy the new cartridge from Bison, i might be interested in buying your stock turbine wheel/shaft. Let me know. Thanks

Is this pictured turbine/shaft part for a stock turbo? I'm confused - I thought the TA49 turbine was larger.

FYI - the scoring is about 0.003-0.004" deep so this shaft would clean-up for sure with 0.010" oversized bearings - possibly 0.005" oversized, but that would be close. I considered putting the shaft on a lathe to clean-up the journal surfaces. but i'm unsure of the bearing housing condition, and would need a correct sized reamer to clean-out the bearing housing.

Is this pictured turbine/shaft part for a stock turbo? I'm confused - I thought the TA49 turbine was larger.

FYI - the scoring is about 0.003-0.004" deep so this shaft would clean-up for sure with 0.010" oversized bearings - possibly 0.005" oversized, but that would be close. I considered putting the shaft on a lathe to clean-up the journal surfaces. but i'm unsure of the bearing housing condition, and would need a correct sized reamer to clean-out the bearing housing.
You cant turn the shaft. It needs to be ground. Ive never had a small shaft like one of these ground.

If its a true TA49, the turbine should be the same as the stocker.

No. The 49 uses a stage 3 Garrett turbine and a t04e 60 trim compressor.

Thanks Brian, you just answered one of the questions I've had for a while. Does the exhaust housing have to be machined for the turbine or will it fit straight off the shelf? I know the compressor housing will need machining.

Thanks Brian, you just answered one of the questions I've had for a while. Does the exhaust housing have to be machined for the turbine or will it fit straight off the shelf? I know the compressor housing will need machining.

Well ya learn something new everyday...I always thought the 49 was just an upgraded compressor wheel.

The ex housing needs to be machined. The wheel has a larger inducer/exducer and the radius needs a little bit removed. The gain on the 44/49 is when you are making 350whp with a stock turbo. The compressor is done around 38lbs/min and the turbine hits a lot if backpressure. To get it to work you need to pull gear and have little converter slip

At 38lbs/min what kind of pressure is that Brian?

As far as stall goes maybe 2800 to 3000?
Usually whateverit will make. Stall has to hold the engine around 4000rpm as long as possible. Stock converter works ok. It should its the stock turbo.

Turbine and compressor housings look machined for larger wheels than stock in pics above? i've never had the stock one open, so i cannot yet tell the difference. The inlet bell is stock - i thought TA49's usually had something slightly larger. Sent you a PM

Bison - thanks for the info, sent you another PM. Here is a pic of the turbo parts sending to you

wheel&plate.jpg